hi
here are my number as of this morning.
FC 3.5
CC 0
TC 3.5
TA 80
PH 7.6
CYA 20
My CYA is i bit low,and my TA is a little low. I am having to use allot of MA to keep it in check. also i think I am using a allot of Bleach About 3 quarts a day.. I have done the over night test and I am not losing any at all... So i know that i don't have any algae eating it up... MY question is with my CYA being a bit low would this be why I am having problems with the Ph raising and the TA being a bit low to... And also why I am using allot of bleach.
Can i start using Pucks again for awhile to raise the CYA or will this take to long?
My pool is crystal clear and does not smell of any bleach what so ever.. It looks great but just seems to have to have to adjust ever thing all the time
was just wondering... All is well though
thanks for all the help
jim

MA lowers pH and TA; your TA is not low at all. You can keep after it with MA has you've been doing, or you can be more purposeful about lowering TA quickly. That's mostly a convenience choice.

The low CYA is why you lose FC in the daytime and need lots of bleach to keep up. The usual recommendation is CYA 30-50; in eastern WA the sun is not that high but it's out for a long time every day (I used to live in Everett). I'd say bring CYA up to 40 and see how things are.

You can use pucks for that but it will take quite a while. In 25K gallons, you'd need to use up 15 pucks to raise CYA by 20. Figure it takes a week or so to dissolve a puck, and you probably don't want to do more than 3-4 at once. It will help keep your pH down, though!
--paulr

I don't think my TA is high, I have done the test very carefully and i get the same reading all the time... It takes 8 to nine drops to change color from green to in my case it turns almost a black color...I have to go to the pool store today to get some parts for my Polaris 280 so i think I am going to take some water and have it tested to see if its close to what i have...we will see :!:
I am going to raise my CYA a little and see if that makes a difference.
thanks
Jim

try adding another drop or two on the TA test. my test always turns dark BEFORE it turns red. I think you are stopping too soon and your TA may be at least 10 points higher (or more). Won't hurt to try.

Can i start using Pucks again for awhile to raise the CYA or will this take to long?
That'll take too long and possibly contribute to some other issues. Simply go to HD/Lowes/Pool Store, etc. and get a container of stabilizer (CYA, CYanuric Acid) and bring your level up to 40ppm. You will have a significant decrease in your FC consumption.

The TA and pH numbers you post are fine. If it were my pool I would ignore them other than to check them regularly.

If your pH continues to rise, simply lower it with some muriatic acid. It is unrelated to your low CYA.

drband said:
try adding another drop or two on the TA test. my test always turns dark BEFORE it turns red. I think you are stopping too soon and your TA may be at least 10 points higher (or more). Won't hurt to try.
Hear, hear. It goes through a dark gray stage before turning red. You keep adding drops until it stops changing color; but if it started green and went dark, you're not done yet.
--paulr

I am going to try to add more drops,, I thought that Jason said once that i was to look for a color change Any color change.. Did not have to go to pink just a color change. So that's what i have been doing.
but yes i am going to Add some CYA and see if that helps on the FC usage.
thanks
Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hayfarmer said:
My CYA is i bit low,and my TA is a little low. I am having to use allot of MA to keep it in check.

hayfarmer said:
I don't think my TA is high, I have done the test very carefully and i get the same reading all the time... It takes 8 to nine drops to change color from green to in my case it turns almost a black color...I have to go to the pool store today to get some parts for my Polaris 280 so i think I am going to take some water and have it tested to see if its close to what i have...we will see :!:
I am going to raise my CYA a little and see if that makes a difference.
thanks
Jim
If your pH is rising too fast then your TA is too high, period!

drband said:
Also. TA is not too high at 80. Some folks like it as high as 110-120.
It really depends on what you are using for sanitizer. If you are using primarily trichlor, dichlor, chlorine gas, bromine, or a lot of MPS then a higher TA is better. If you are using liquid chlorine or bleach, cal hypo, lithium hypo, or a SWG then a lower TA is better.
If you pH is rising too fast lower your TA
If you pH and your TA keep dropping then raise the TA.

that's correct..a ta of 60 is not considered too low, if that's what it takes to stabilize your PH...each pool is unique and does not have to follow the suggested levels to the letter...some experimentation can help

hayfarmer said:
I thought that Jason said once that i was to look for a color change Any color change.. Did not have to go to pink just a color change. So that's what i have been doing.
You need it to start changing, and then stop changing. The exact color can vary depending on things like FC level, but the process is the same. The last drop that causes a change is your drop count.
--paulr

No mom I am not testing when FC is over 10. I do know that will alter the test results or not give a true reading.
The PH raises every time i add bleach or should i say it creeps up over about a 5 day period.. I did do another TA test and the last drop that i add to change to pink is 10 so that's a 100 so i guess I am in the ball park on that.. But i am still going to the Pool store to get parts for my Polaris and I am going to have them check it.... I Know I know that they will TRY to sell me something,,, but I am pretty hard headed when i am doing something that works :hammer:
thanks guys and gals for all the info and help, I will be gone for the day going to pool store and COSTCO as we call it the $500.00 store... LOL
i will check in with my results from the pool store
see ya
Jim

Hi again, Iam back from town.
Here are the results from pool store.
FC 2.5
TC 4.2
CC 1.7
PH 7.9
CYA 35

here are mine from this morning
FC 3.5
CC 0
TC 3.5
TA 80
PH 7.6
CYA 20
the results are not all that much different but they are saying that i have CC and i show none.
so i guess i am going to try to lower my TA so i can try to stabilize the PH And I am going to raise the CYA to around 40.
they tried to sell me 10 bags of burn out extreme. I told them i had some already.... LOL
And they tried to sell me 13lbs of balance pack 100 to raise my TA. Again i told them i had some....
I came home with money in my wallet
thanks jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.