Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ORP accuracy/reliability, worth investing or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

ORP accuracy/reliability, worth investing or not?

Hello,

I'm still in the proces of choosing my pool automation, and i would like to automate as much as possible.
    So i was thinking about pentair intellitouch and intellichem (with liquid chlorine dosing not SWG), but i read a lot of complains about ORP sensing (for chlorine regulation), not only from Pentair but other brands alslo, is it worth investing in this? Most stories i have read, they say that after a while struggeling they just disconect the ORP reading and do it manualy.
    So what is your advice?

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ORP accuracy/reliability, worth investing or not?

ORP will work, but you must keep a very low level of CYA. No more than 20 ppm. Above that amount, ORP will not change in a reliable manner with respect to free Cl.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for your answer, are there any downsides of keeping low CYA? and how do you achieve it?

4. Back To Top    #4

The downside of trying to maintain a lower CYA level is that you use a lot more bleach maintaining proper FC. Especially if you live in a sunny climate.

Even with a lower CYA level you're not guaranteed that ORP will work reliably over time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, i heard about FC probes, do you know any system that has that?

6. Back To Top    #6

I've read a little about the amperometric probes, but haven't seen any in service. They're supposed to be compatible with CYA. The downside is that they're pretty expensive.

I don't know of any pool automation systems that use them. There could be some that I haven't heard of.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

The industrial ones are very finicky on calibration I know that much. I agree with Bama, and I don't think the technology has made it down to pools yet, but I don't keep up with it either.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

ORP kinda works if :
    - CYA is under 20
    - probes are recalibrated every year
    - probe housing is keept clean (no debris)
    - new probes every 3-5 years
    - with pool closing: dismantled and stored in storage fluid over winter
    40K Liter (=10K5 gallon) - concrete walls - Hayward Superpump 975W (1,3HP) 3fase powered by an external Siemens Micromaster 420 VFD - Pentair Triton TR-60 glass filter - 13,5Kw Ecoheater heatpump - Hayward Aquarite Pro LS SWG with Sense and Dispense (PH and ORP sensors) - Dryden Aqua Static Mixer - Siemens Logo (mini PLC) automatisation

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Ahrand View Post
    ORP kinda works if :
    - CYA is under 20
    - probes are recalibrated every year
    - probe housing is keept clean (no debris)
    - new probes every 3-5 years
    - with pool closing: dismantled and stored in storage fluid over winter
    Well that would work for me! Can anyone confirm?

So Ahrand that your case, you're happy with it, i see you are from Belgium too?
    I would love to have more info about your setup (Logo Siemens), i'm actualy looking to "make" my own automation too.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jpcolin View Post
    So Ahrand that your case, you're happy with it, i see you are from Belgium too?
    I would love to have more info about your setup (Logo Siemens), i'm actualy looking to "make" my own automation too.
    Actually, I switched it off after 3 seasons fighting with it...
    At the top of summer you need more than 20CYA, otherwise the sun will burn more chlorine tegen the swcg can make.
    I trust my Siemens automation more now.
    Are you Dutch speaking ? Send me a private message.

11. Back To Top    #11

I wrote an article in diy pool automation with Pentair. I have been happy with the coordination of their system. ORP probes as you know are an indirect way to monitor FC. These probes are finnicky. I run a very low flow 15 gpm 24/7 and try to keep my pool at a unifor temperature-- all automated. With that I find orp to be consistent. I have not yet seen cost effectve FC probes. Search the forum for DIY pentair Pool automation and you can find the article. hope it helps.
    " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    19,000 gallon sylvan pool, Easytouch 2 4p automation, Screenlogic interface, Intelliflo VF 3050 pump, Intellichem with Intellichlor 40 chlorinator/Muriatic acid, Raypac millivolt natural gas heater.Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump.Coverstar automatic cover hydraulic mechanism with PCS cover. Wet edge Luna quartz finish 2016. Northeast climate.