Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chemicals costco

1. Back To Top    #1

chemicals costco

just curious if the tub of chlorine tabs and shock bags from costco are a good deal. tablets are $79 for approximately 80 and shock bags $70(maybe less) for 24 bags, pool should be done within a month and want to be prepared.
    In-ground freeform 32' x 21' Gunite, Sparkle quartz plaster, ePump 2.0, MX8 Elite cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chemicals costco

Depends on how you define a good deal. If you are comparing prices between the pool store and Costco, probably so. But to me that is a horrible deal, as the money saved still wouldn't pay for the replacement of water and headache of fighting algae. I would rather go for the 3-pack of bleach if you really want to buy chemicals from Costco. However, Walmart is cheaper (=

You need to check out pool school, a link at the top of the page. Specifically Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool as we do not recommend using pucks or powders as a primary source of chlorination for our water. Plain ole bleach or liquid chlorine is the key to a trouble free pool.
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

3. Back To Top    #3

I saw the Chlorox Blue bucket of tabs at Costco last week.

And you really don't want to use them because they contain copper (that little trade secret part they call "Blue") as well as stabilizer.

Your pool will risk stains developing from the copper and your CYA will be too high and require draining down the road. Bad news on all accounts.

NO one at TFP recommends the routine use of any granular or puck product.

Have you considered using liquid chlorine or putting a salt water chlorine generator in?

Have you read some of the pool school articles? Start here: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

4. Back To Top    #4

$79 for 80 (~40 pounds) is $2 per pound. That is a good price. If your pool is new, you can use the tabs to help bring up your CYA level to target. After CYA is at target, quit using the tabs, except for when you are away on vacation etc. Liquid chlorine (bleach) won't raise your CYA further, which is a good thing.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Analogbytes View Post
    Depends on how you define a good deal. If you are comparing prices between the pool store and Costco, probably so. But to me that is a horrible deal, as the money saved still wouldn't pay for the replacement of water and headache of fighting algae. I would rather go for the 3-pack of bleach if you really want to buy chemicals from Costco. However, Walmart is cheaper (=

You need to check out pool school, a link at the top of the page. Specifically Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool as we do not recommend using pucks or powders as a primary source of chlorination for our water. Plain ole bleach or liquid chlorine is the key to a trouble free pool.
    +1

Stick with bleach. Nothing but chlorine and a trace amount of salt.

While the tablets could be used to raise CYA, it will take a very long time in your pool.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Personally, I would NOT use tabs fro Costco. I'm a member and buy everything I can there, but.....

Their tabs are "Clorox Pool&Spa™ XtraBlue 3" Chlorinating Tablets - 40lbs".

Any time I see the "blue" in a pool chemical name I immediately think they have added copper.

Unless that can be dis-proven I would shy away.

I do use bleach for most of my chlorine addition, but I do use tabs to bring the CYA up when needed, like after our really wet spring where I had to pump a lot of water out of the pool.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

7. Back To Top    #7

I was looking for confirmation about the Chlorox Blue products that I shy away from and found this mention by ChemGeek-
    in this thread: Mustard algae gone

"As noted in this MSDS, the Clorox Pool & Spa Algaecide Xtra Blue is 3.3% copper. Copper is an effective algaecide, but it has a serious downside of staining pool surfaces, particularly plaster surfaces. This is more likely to occur when the copper concentration gets higher or the pH gets higher. "

So this is the algaecide, but I *thought* their other products contained copper too? I gotta research this more.....

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I bought a container of the pucks from Costco prior to finding TFP last year. I still use them when CYA dips and/or I need to go out of town.

I wrote Clorox directly after seeing a similar post to Yippy, and here is the response their customer service gave me:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Clorox™ Pool & Spa®. That product does not contain copper.

If you have any other question or concerns please feel free to reach out.

Thanks,
    Clorox™ Pool & Spa®
    1-800-767-7665
    www.CloroxPool.com

From: customercare@cloroxpool.com [mailto:customercare@cloroxpool.com]
    Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:44 PM
    To: customercare@cloroxpool.com
    Subject: Message received from the Clorox App

First Name:
    Last Name:
    Email Address: spam@llamadev.com
    Phone Number: N/A
    Question regarding Chlorox XTra Blue 6 in 1 3" tablets. Is there any copper at all in this product?
    I'll freely admit that they may be mistaken, so I'd be interested if anyone has further information or actual test results from the product. I'd hate to be adding copper to the pool.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

9. Back To Top    #9

Going thru the safety data sheets for Clorox XtraBlue granular Pool Shock and Clorox XtraBlue Algaecide show *both* contain copper.

Still researching the tablets.

Because Copper containing products are often labeled as "Blu" or "blue" I distrust all the products in that product line.

10. Back To Top    #10

I appreciate the advice and feedback you guys are awesome
    In-ground freeform 32' x 21' Gunite, Sparkle quartz plaster, ePump 2.0, MX8 Elite cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

I just received an email response from the Clorox Customer Care line....I copied in in full:
    Hello Madeline,

Thank you for contacting Clorox™ Pool & Spa®. All of our XtraBlue products do contain a small amount of copper. Our line “Active 99” does not contain any copper additives. This includes our Active 99 tablets and shock.

If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

Clorox™ Pool & Spa®
    1-800-SOS-POOL
    Monday – Friday, 8am – 6pm EST.
    www.CloroxPool.com

Office: 678-502-4854 (Direct)