Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: WHITEFLY infestation on Hawai'i

1. Back To Top    #1

WHITEFLY infestation on Hawai'i

"It just goes to show you, Jane: it's always SOMETHING!" ~ Roseanne Roseannadanna

We're beginning year six of our Hawai'i Island residency. Our entryway pond and our backyard pool were turning cloudy green, even as I regularly tested and maintained both; never experienced the problem previously. Curious, I began surveying our many palm trees. I discovered whitefly eggs and larva on the bottom side of many palm leaves.

I could not find any thread on TFP pertaining to whiteflies. I'm blasting the palm leaves with a water nozzle, per advice found at:
    www.flwhitefly.org
    Florida has had the problem for years:
    www.poolspanews.com/business/invasive-whitefly-sucking-chlorine-from-florida-pools_o
    Last edited by jackrogue; 03-29-2017 at 12:41 AM. Reason: including an informational hyperlink

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: WHITEFLY infestation on Hawai'i

Well that is interesting! I hope you get rid of them soon and get your pool back to clear.

When you were testing did you notice your FC was lower than expected?

Have you started the SLAM to get that pretty pool back to clear?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for tha link to poolspanews. Interesting.
    23k gal IG, plaster; IntelliPro 4 x 160 Variable Speed; STA-RITE S7M120 300 sqft cartridge filter; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; Pentair EasyTouch; Maytronics Dolphin Triton Plus robotic cleaner named "Domo" (arigato Mr. Roboto); Hot Spring Vanguard Spa, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir, SampleSizer w/Taylor Calibrated Cylinders and FlowVis Flow Meter from TFTestkits.net. Auto fill and Auto drain. Chlorine / CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    When you were testing did you notice your FC was lower than expected?
    I always keep my FC somewhat elevated, so . . . . nope.

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Have you started the SLAM to get that pretty pool back to clear?
    Yep . . . been SLAMing two days, brushing walls and floor, backwashing my sand filter daily; it's clearing up very slowly

Sand filter has been in use 20+ years. I'm considering replacing the sand . . . don't know. Other TFP filter topic posts claim no need to replace sand.
    14,400 GALLONS -- INGROUND 40'X12' GUNITE LAP POOL BUILT 1994 -- EP-4 ECOPUMP VARIABLE SPEED -- TRITON II TR60 SAND FILTER 63 GPM
    PoolMath