Daily Chlorine Usage

Jun 9, 2009
We converted pool from Baqua to Chlorine using BBB method. (Drained all of pool first except for 10 inches) Pool is 24 ft round, approx 12.5K gallons.

I did not have a good test kit so I did the method for approx 4-5 days. Pool was looking great, using about 1 gallon of bleach per day.

Finally test kit came in and these were my intial numbers at 7PM in the afternoon yesterday and I had not added Bleach for the day.
TC=1
CC=.5-1
PH=7.0
CYA=25
TA=100
CH=160

I added enough bleach to bring pool up to 9ppm and CC=.5 when I went to bed at 10PM.

Woke up the next morning and TC=8 and CC=0-.5.

Came home and tested @ 8PM (before adding bleach) and TC=2.5 and CC=.5.

First Question--Can my pool in South Georgia (97 degrees and bad humidity) use 5.5 PPM during the day? I know CYA is a little low, could that make that big of a difference?

I added bleach back tonight, FC=9 and CC=.5 and I will test in morning.

Second Question--If I am at FC=8 or better and CC=.5 or less, do you think I am ok on the baqua conversion and can move to balance my numbers a little better?

Third Question--I checked PH tonight after adding Bleach and it showed 7.6. Is this because pool is around shock levels and is false reading?

Thanks
JB

jbdial1515 said:
First Question--Can my pool in South Georgia (97 degrees and bad humidity) use 5.5 PPM during the day? I know CYA is a little low, could that make that big of a difference?
Yes and yes.

jbdial1515 said:
Second Question--If I am at FC=8 or better and CC=.5 or less, do you think I am ok on the baqua conversion and can move to balance my numbers a little better?
Someone else will have to answer this one...

jbdial1515 said:
Third Question--I checked PH tonight after adding Bleach and it showed 7.6. Is this because pool is around shock levels and is false reading?
Usually we say that happens at FC 10. If all you've added is bleach between the 7.0 reading and the 7.6 reading then I'm not entirely sure what's happening. Bleach does have a high pH but the usual lore is that the effect cancels out as it's used up.
--paulr

Thanks for the feedback. Could have been bad first test on the PH since it was the first time using kit. Other than that, I did aerate the pool with jet sticking straight up for a few hours yesterday but was not sure if that would make a difference or not in bringing PH back up for such a short amount of time for aerating.

I checked this morning and my FC=8.5 and CC=0-.5. In regards to the Baqua conversion, I think I am good. It seems now, I just need to get my numbers balanced a little better. Will go to pool store today and pick up enough to bring CYA up a bit higher and test for it again in 4 or 5 days.

duraleigh said:
In regards to the Baqua conversion, I think I am good.
I haven't followed this thread. JB, have you changed your filter media before adding the CYA?

Ditto....if you didn't change out the filter media you aren't done converting.

I use about a gallon a week and we have the same size pool....even when my CYA was that low.

If your FC isn't holding overnight, and you need the FAS-DPD test to confirm this, then you need to (complete the conversion if you haven't done so) and shock the pool until the FC holds overnight.

Note about media and CYA.

Started Conversion on a Sunday. Pool was clear by Wednesday Morning. I was using a cartridge system. On Thursday, the Pool Store change out my filter system from cartridge to sand and placed my CYA in filter during this time.

Do you still think I need to change Sand after media was essentially changed 4 days into conversion (at very end).

Also note previous post, FC went from 9 to 8.5 overnight. I will check total loss during day when I get home from work.

The thing about conversions in general....If you changed out the media too early, it potentially could be a problem. Was the FC holding overnight before you changed the filter? That being said....

If the FC is holding overnight, and a .5 loss means "yes".... :goodjob: then to me, your high demand would be explained by the low CYA. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.