Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New SWG, new water

1. Back To Top    #1

New SWG, new water

Hello again forum! You guys saved me from purchasing a perma salt system from my local pool store when I purchased my new above ground liner. Actually I should say I purchased first and researched second! BAD IDEA.

Anyway I got a refund on that nasty thing and have a Hayward Aqua trol coming. I am getting a new liner installed and will have fresh water in the pool when the Hayward goes in.

According to the manual it states to balance the chemistry BEFORE activating the system. I know I have to add 450 pounds of salt and stabilizer to get to 80 CYA. What the manual is not clear on is if I have to get chlorine up to level before turning on the unit also? Or is adding the recommended salt and powering the unit on enough? I just want to make sure it's not going to go green on me before the SWG has a chance to kick in. Any advice?
    27' above ground, 17500 gallons, Cartridge filter Hayward SW1000z4, A.O. Smith Pump SP1515Z1BC 70 GPM, SWG Hayward AquaTrol TCell 15, Test kit Taylor TF-100
    Murfreesboro, TN

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New SWG, new water

You should get your chemicals, especially the FC, to their required levels. Also, you'll want to dump your salt in and let it fully dissolve before turning your SWG on.
    Free Form 13K IG (Quartz) w/Screen Enclosure - 2 Sheer Descents, 1 Bubbler - Hayward 60 SF DE Sta-Rite - Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar - Hayward Aqua Rite AQR9 (T-Cell-9) SWG - Zodiac MX6 - July 2016 - Taylor K-2006 - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test

3. Back To Top    #3

Wouldn't that double the amount of FC in the pool if I add chlorine to recommend levels then add salt and turn on SWG?

27' above ground, 17500 gallons, Cartridge filter Hayward SW1000z4, A.O. Smith Pump SP1515Z1BC 70 GPM, SWG Hayward AquaTrol TCell 15, Test kit Taylor TF-100
    Murfreesboro, TN

4. Back To Top    #4

SWGs are really good at maintaining FC level, but fairly poor at creating FC levels. Add bleach to get to near your proper level and let the SWG do what it does best.

5. Back To Top    #5

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Murfreesboro, TN