Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need recommendation for telescoping pole

1. Back To Top    #1

Need recommendation for telescoping pole

We got a start-up kit with our pool build that came with a pole, brush, net, vacuum head. The pole does not lock well, and often collapses when we are trying to clean the deeper parts of our pool.

Please recommend a lightweight, sturdy telescopic pool that locks tightly and will not slide/collapse!

Thanks so much!!
    First time pool owner
    21K IG; quartz plaster finish
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Polaris 280; Completed Feb. 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need recommendation for telescoping pole

JYU,

I initially bought poles at Home Depot/Lowes, but they were terrible..

I went to my local (Not Leslies) pool store and found one that works great for me. Always locks and unlocks with ease.. I did not know it at the time, but when I got home, found it is a Pentair product.

Rainbow, metal cam, telescopic pole. Lifeguard, #812-16.. Pentair P/N 191046. Costs about $30 bucks.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, I'll check it out!

First time pool owner
    21K IG; quartz plaster finish
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Polaris 280; Completed Feb. 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

Not to completely resurrect an old post but I recently bought a new house that has a pool. Old house had a pool too but I left all the equipment there as I didn't think I'd be buying a house with a pool again. But here I am.

I've inherited pretty much garbage in terms of pool equipment. I pretty much want to replace it all but as this post hints... I need a new telescoping pole. I don't mind paying some good money for a pole permitting that it lasts for as long as I want it to. Seems like a lot of people stand by their Skimlites. If Skimlite, what is a good pole for a residential user? Or are there other brands that won't splinter, bend, fail-to-lock, etc?
    12.4k IGP 27'x14'x4.5', Pebbletec, Pentair EasyTouch, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair IC40, Pentair Quad DE 80, Dolphin S200

5. Back To Top    #5

Check out this thread. This has been a good Pole for me so far.
    A Good Pool Pole
    24' x 52" 13.5K gal. Doughboy Autumn Breeze AG pool. Pentair CC200 Cartridge Filter. Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump. Dolphin E-10 robot. TF-100 Test Kit. Confer CCX-AG with curve add on pool steps. My Pool Build.

6. Back To Top    #6

After getting tired of poles breaking or blue paint coming off on my hands, I decided to find a good sturdy pole. I ended up buying a Skimlite pole, their Dually pole, model 2016. I think I paid something like $80 for it but I've had it for about 8 years and it's in great shape. It is a super sturdy pole and is great for leaf raking especially. For skimming the surface, there was a pole here when we bought the house. It's a great pole because it's so light weight, but I leave the simmer net on it all the time because the one time I had to change it, I had a diffficult time. It's one of those epliptical poles that are just out of rough enough that you twist the two pieces and it locks the pole easily. But I think the pole is at least 20 years old.

Back to the Skimlite, I use that one mainly with the leaf rack. My one regret on this pole is that it's a bit heavy (probably easier for a man to handle). I think Skimlite also makes lighter weight poles. You could see the ones they have on their website Skimlite | Home.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)