Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the worst thing you've found in your skimmer baskets?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's the worst thing you've found in your skimmer baskets?

So we've given the task of cleaning out the skimmer baskets to our daughters, ages 9 and 12, as a way for them to contribute to the maintenance of our new pool. Their first time did not go so well... besides the pollen/leaves/debris of a rainstorm, there were huge spiders, beetles, and a dead frog... not a big deal really, but I guess they really don't like seeing dead things...

A how-to-clean-your-skimmer youtube video said that it's also possible to find dead rodents, snakes, etc... so just wondering what other things we should be prepared to find in these baskets??
    First time pool owner
    21K IG; quartz plaster finish
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Polaris 280; Completed Feb. 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's the worst thing you've found in your skimmer baskets?

I finally killed the black widow that has been hanging out in our skimmer throat last Sunday. The best thing ever in my pool was a water moccasin but, it wasn't in the skimmer so that doesn't count.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Lots of spiders, frogs, a dead fledgling bird and this:

IMG_1232.jpg

Also found this on one occasion. Looked like some critter had been for a dip and left a water trail after climbing up the ladder. I have no idea what it was...

IMG_1489.jpg
    Chris Hawkins

18,000 gallon vinyl Inground. Hayward Goldline Aquarite 40k SWG, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.
    Polaris 3900 cleaner, Pentair Tagelus sand filter. AquaPro 1300 heat pump. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I found a dead possum in my skimmer once. Glad I found it while I could still identify it.

in-ground pool/spa with spill over, plaster/pebble, multiple waterfalls
    4x Pentair pumps, Pentair DE filter, Pentair Heater, Auto-fill
    Completed 2011, TF-100 test kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Ugh... I guess we may have to reconsider this task then. Our dog kills gekkos/lizards and chases squirrels/bunnies all the time, so it may be just a matter of time before we find something similar in our skimmers!
    First time pool owner
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater

6. Back To Top    #6

A dead mouse a few months ago.

And peanut shells. Darn neighbor leaves them out and the squirrels and birds litter my yard with them.
    I find them in the gutters too.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Right around Easter, many years ago, we found a near-dead baby bunny in the skimmer. The air temperature was cold and the pool temp was VERY cold. I didnt think it would live through the night. The kids brought it in, warmed it up with fresh towels from the clothes dryer and fed it. They built a little 'home' for it and slept near it that night. It was really cute. The next day, it was fine and we set it free. Now, every Easter they talk about the little bunny
    18x36 25k Gal Inground Vinyl Pool
    300lb Sand Filter / 1.5hp Single Speed Pump / Intellichlor IC40 SWG / Polaris 280 w/booster pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I usually have voles, frogs, and spiders.
    Found this guy last year. I thought the kids put a rock in the skimmer.
    I find one or two of these little guys each year.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow, glad the bunny survived! I guess all the critters don't have much of a chance to escape the suction power of the skimmers. Almost makes me want to check the skimmers daily...

First time pool owner

10. Back To Top    #10

In the skimmer: 6" baby snake
    In the pool: two beavers frolicking at night.
    TF-100 w/ Speedstir :)
    ~9000 IG gunnite pool, attached 6-8 person spa. Features: spa spills to pool, waterfall feeds spa, and 3 fountains in a "river" feed pool.
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 1.5 filter pump, Hayward Super II 2.0 booster, Hayward Swimclear 4030, Hayward H350. Caretaker in-floor pool cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

A chupacabra!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

This thread makes me really appreciate the fact that I have an above-ground pool. Worst thing I catch is wasps.
    19328 Gallon Above-Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage 1.5hp Pump. Dolphin Nautilus Plus "Flipper" Robot. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based. 340gallon Marquis Spa. Bromine based. Established 2007.

13. Back To Top    #13

Two baby corn snakes.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post

IMG_1232.jpg

Also found this on one occasion. Looked like some critter had been for a dip and left a water trail after climbing up the ladder. I have no idea what it was...

IMG_1489.jpg
    What is the white box and wire running to the pool?
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

15. Back To Top    #15

Nothing more than some bugs. Lots of bugs (beattles, lady bugs) sometimes. One of my dog's furry toys was in there one time. Scared the you-know-what out of me. But I've heard horror stories. There are some things you can get to attach to your skimmer baskets to make them easier to pull out without having to stick you hand down in there. But I use skimmer socks on my baskets so they don't work for me. So I invested in this hook that I can use to pull the baskets out without my hands getting too close.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg
    Now I'm going to have nightmares.
    18'x24' Rectangle (3' 6" to 5' 5") - 11K gal. Saltwater w/ Blue Granit Pebblesheen
    Pentair equipment (IntelliFlo 3050 VS/SVRS Pump, 60 sq. ft. DE filter, Intellichlor Salt system, MasterTemp 400000 BTU heater
    Easy Touch 4 w/ Screen Logic automation, 3 GlowBrite LED Pool Lights) My build log

16. Back To Top    #16

Our worst thus far was a smallish skunk. Needless to say, I smelled it long before I ever lifted the skimmer lid.
    29,000 gal. vinyl in-ground mountain lake (freeform); Hayward DE filter, 2 skimmers, AutoPilot SWG, 2 - 4 X 20 Fafco Solar Bears with Goldline control, Aquabot, LoopLoc winter cover, Pool installed March 2009...

17. Back To Top    #17

I love these threads, it inevitably reminds me of the MLM "mostly liquid mouse" thread a while back. I'm pretty diligent about cleaning things out, but I hear my neighbor complaining about MLF "mostly liquid frogs" all the time. He doesn't call them that, but in my mind that's what I hear.

The big frogs shoot out of the skimmer when I open it... gets me EVERY stinking time.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

18. Back To Top    #18

When we lived in Texas, a scorpion.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

I check my skimmer, twice a day. So almost everything I find is still alive. I love to just walk around the pool and admire the water. It's not like it takes that long and I love the idea of rescuing things when I can.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

20. Back To Top    #20

What's the worst thing you've found in your skimmer baskets?

Just found one of my annual salamanders in the bottom of the pool. They always come out of the woods and into the pool after a good rain.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast