Plumbing new SWG questions

Hello all. After owning (and struggling) with my Chlor-Tab pool for the last two years of ownership (20K gallon rectangle, vinyl inground), I decided to save up over winter and convert to salt. I purchased the Aqua-Rite AQR15 for my pool and have started minor portions of the install (my pool is still closed, so there is not much I can do). But I have come across a few items I am not sure what to do about.

1) The Salt Cell is 2" PVC, and my system is 1.5" PVC. The manual indicates that an adapter can be used but I am unsure what adapter. The local Lowe's sells a 2" to 1.5" Reducer, but it is not Sched 40, and not rated for pressure. I've looked and cannot seem to find a similar adapter made by Hayward (or anyone else), so I was wondering if you could give me some guidance on what adapter I should be using?

2) The Flow Switch. I am installing it after my cell, however I was wondering if it was ok to install it vertical (on a down pipe from my cell) versus horizontal. I did not see any clear guidance in the manual about this.

Appreciate all your help!

A quick search online reveals - 2 Schedule 40 429-251

Most of the major big-box hardware stores should have them as it's a fairly common adapter. Do you have a plumbing supply store near you? A plumbing supply store would definitely have them in stock.

From the installation manual -

IMPORTANT: There must be at least a 12" (25cm) straight pipe run before (upstream) the flow switch. If the switch is plumbed after the cell, the cell can by counted as the 12" (25cm) of straight pipe. To ensure proper operation, verify that the arrow on the flow switch (located on top of gray hex) points in the direction of water flow.

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/AquaRite-AQR-Operation-Installation.pdf

Before or after the cell is fine but there is no mention of vertical or horizontal. I believe the Hayward units use a thermal flow switch indicator, so orientation doesn't really matter. For a magnetic reed-based flow switch, orientation would be important.

Here is what I was able to find at Lowe's, it's Schedule 30. The transition on this one seems steeper than the one you posted. Think this will work? Aside from the difference in schedule (30 vs. 40) they both adhere to ASTM D 1784. Home Depot has a similar one and it actually states that it's for max 5psi.

Attachments

• Reducer.jpg
    Reducer.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 64
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.