Speed Programming for Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump

Sammy2

Aug 30, 2016
Riverside, CA
I have installed my SuperFlo pump and it am trying to program it for different speeds using external control and relays. The manual has instructions for how to run it at different speeds when using the controller on the pump itself but doesn't discuss at all how to select different speeds when running it under external control. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Without a signature to tell us what "features" your pool has, it is hard to recommend anything.

But as a general rule, run as low an RPM as possible for as short as possible but there are a lot of caveats to that.

The first thing I would do is find out what minimum RPM is necessary so the water travels over the skimmer weir door (pulling it down) for proper skimming. Then see if that flow rate is fast enough for the SWG. If it meets both requirements, that is your lowest possible RPM that you want to operate at. If you have no other requirements such as a pool cleaner, then just run at that RPM.

The length of time will depend on the SWG production rate. Unless you have other requirements, then I would set the SWG at the highest output for the shortest run time possible.

I'm sorry. I discussed that in my Pump Sizing for SWCG thread and think I have a pretty good handle on my needs there thanks to you guys!

I wasn't clear here but I'm trying to figure out how to make the pump run at speeds other than the pre programmed 1400, 2200, 3000 and 3450 RMP's. The manual only discusses changing these when using the pump's built in controller but is silent on how to do it, or if it can even be done, using external control.

To use the external relay controls you need to program the pump as described on the flip up control cover. When the relay for speed 1 closes the pump will go to the rpm you programmed for speed 1 for as long as the relay is active. As far as I understood from the manual the relays bypass the timer function in the pump. I haven't tried to use relays for my pump but I did look into it as a consideration. The onboard timer works for my needs.

I guess I need to look on the underside of the lid but if I am understanding correctly I set the programming and then set it to run by external control which then locks out the run times but not the RPM settings for each of the 3 + Quick Clean speeds? I could use the on-board timer but then loose control over the pump for my other needs which are mainly having it run at 3450RPM for the spa and being able to crank it up for cascading down the tile steps out of the spa for show. I have found that running it a 2200RPM's creates a nice Zen effect for this cascading too. Plus, when I put it into Party or Spa Mode, I want the pump to go full speed automatically, then slow back down on exiting those modes or at my command. Mainly, I want to be able to control it from my phone and not have to go over to the equipment every time I want or need to make a change.

Sammy,

With true External control the pump will show external only and whatever eternal controller you have has to have all the timing as to what speed you want turned on when. The pump will not run unless you turn on a speed. As CJ says you have to program each of the four speeds into the pumps control panel.

The other option is to program the pump to run a set schedule at what ever speeds you select. Then, as long as the pump is running any external input will cause the pump to go to that speed.. When the external input is removed, the pump will return to its internal schedule..

Either way, you have to enter everything into the pump's control panel.

Jim R.

Okay. I tried to change the speeds when under external control but I hadn't got the relays set up yet to even trigger it to run so I was "locked out". After I get the relays set up, I'll try again. I guess I need to use external control to select speeds 1, 2 or 3 then when selected, adjust the running speed. I'll leave Quick Clean and 2200 RPM (works great for Zen effect on the spa cascade so why change it?) alone but I want to experiment with setting the 1400 RPM speed down to 1100 or 1200 RPM and bring the 3000 RPM speed 0 RPM to mimic the pump being off. If speed isn't programmable when in external control, I'll survive and just leave it how it is.

As far as external TIMING goes, that is all the SuperFlo does via relays. I'm using Z-Wave relays and my Vera Plus Controller for that part. As I understand it, there is no external SPEED control for this pump. That is set on the pump itself. I can use the timer on the pump for basic filtration and circulation and then override that with external control when I want OR I can use the Vera to program the filtration and circulation run times. Currently my Jandy board is doing that and I've come to realize that I need to tell the Jandy to just have the pump on all the time 24/7/365 and then use either the controller on the pump itself or Z-Wave relays with my Vera Controller to actually turn it off and on and set speeds.

Your pump should be wired directly to its own gfci breaker now either dual pole 220 or single pole 110 it will accept either voltage. That's how its intended to be wired.

As for what rpm to run at for each speed there is no right or wrong answer. Most users go for the minimum speed to achieve the function they are looking for. In my case I run at 1450 which is 150 rpm over min for my heater to run that way I don't have to worry about any minor variations in flow. I'm sure I will have to tweak things around this season when I add my solar panel in.

Okay. I'll take the relay out of the Jandy Panel and connect it directly to the breaker. It is 220 dual pole, BTW.

I think the installer should have done this already to tell you the truth but he was a pool guy and not an electrician so he probably just left it all alone.

There was a booster pump in there that he removed as the plumbing was disconnected already and the pump was not functional AFAIK. I think this may have been used at one time for the Kreepy Crawler but am not sure, I couldn't see where the plumbing for it was cut so IDK. He removed the power whip for this pump and the pump itself so he was in the panel and could have easily have re-wired the new pump too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.