Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I be concerned about what just happened?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I be concerned about what just happened?

We've had like 2 days that hit around 50 degrees now, and one minute, everything looked good. A few minutes later, I glanced outside, and saw huge bulges in the cover (which I assume is ice moving). I went back on the cameras to see how quickly this happened. Looks like it took about 10 seconds or less.

Don't mind the mess please, I have lots of work to do this spring.

20170327_172723.jpg

10 seconds later....:
    20170327_172733.jpg

Here's a shot from ground level:
    WP_20170327_18_47_21_Rich.jpg

Is this normal, as things warm up, to see the ice shift like that? For obvious reasons, I can't open the cover to check on things (yet).
    Derek - November 2016 Build, Fill, Cover, and Close. Starting Equipment for the first time in Spring 2017: 26K IG 20x40 Vinyl, All Pentair: IntelliFlo VST 2, Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, EasyTouch 8, IntelliChem, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, MasterTemp 250K NG Heater, GloBrite LED lights, Autelis Automation Integration, CoverStar Leading Edge Automatic Cover, Dolphin Quantum Robotic Cleaner, Interfab G-Force 2 slide, Interfab T7 diving board

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I be concerned about what just happened?

dw,

What is this thing you call "ice"????

I have no idea if normal or not, just wanted to give you a poke..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Think about the ice caps! You just had a "calving"! Kind of neat you saw it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    dw,

What is this thing you call "ice"????

I have no idea if normal or not, just wanted to give you a poke..

Jim R.
    Haha! The good news is that the ice is retreating finally, so it's about time to fire everything up and see if it really works. I took off a skimmer cover on Sunday, and the water in the skimmer was all still in its solid state. I'm guessing that the charcoal pool cover helps some with absorbing the sun and speeding things along, but we have at least another week of ice I would guess.
    Derek - November 2016 Build, Fill, Cover, and Close. Starting Equipment for the first time in Spring 2017: 26K IG 20x40 Vinyl, All Pentair: IntelliFlo VST 2, Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, EasyTouch 8, IntelliChem, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, MasterTemp 250K NG Heater, GloBrite LED lights, Autelis Automation Integration, CoverStar Leading Edge Automatic Cover, Dolphin Quantum Robotic Cleaner, Interfab G-Force 2 slide, Interfab T7 diving board