Should we use 1 1/2" or 2" PVC for Plumbing our IG?

reallytiredteacher

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2009
Southern Missouri
We're plumbing our IG pool and bought some 1 1/2" sch40 PVC and fittings. I'm wondering if we shouldn't switch to 2" before we get started. What's best?

We have an Aqua Genie with 2 main drains, but no returns like the traditional skimmer. Our pump (it's a Max-Flo) and pool size are listed below in my signature.

Any help ASAP will be appreciated, we are plumbing tomorrow (Wed, June 17th)...sorry to be wishy washy (no pun intended!) at the last minute.

quote]It really depends on how many runs they are making back to the equipment pad. If they run a separate pipe for every fitting then 1.5" is fine. But the fewer pipes there are going back to the equipment pad, the more important it is for them to be larger[/quote]

I asked a similar guestion and above is what Jason said.
My suction side is 2" and pressure side is 1.5" cause all my returns are separate runs.
Hope this helps

Are you saying you have no returns at all?

I know when I do mine, I will plumb all my lines with 2" sch pvc 40.

Any pics of the build? We'd love to see them! I know I would! 8)

2" isn't all that much more than 1 1/2" so even if you have separate runs, I would put in 2" given the choice.

reallytiredteacher said:
Here's a little more info...

I think our pump fitting is 1 1/2".
Will we really increase output if we use 2" PVC and then it's reduced to 1 1/2" at the pump?

Yes, you can use some adapters to change from 2" to 1 1/2". If most of the pipe is 2" instead of 1 1/2", the total head loss should go down by quite a bit and flow rate up by quite a bit.

Thanks to all who posted on this pipe size question. We went with the 2' since we had not yet plumbed the pool.

Once again TFP to the rescue! And again I'm reminded why I joined as a LIFETIME Supporter and ordered the super duper test kit the first day I stumbled upon this site! Wuhoo!!!

:party: :party: :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.