Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should we use 1 1/2" or 2" PVC for Plumbing our IG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should we use 1 1/2" or 2" PVC for Plumbing our IG?

We're plumbing our IG pool and bought some 1 1/2" sch40 PVC and fittings. I'm wondering if we shouldn't switch to 2" before we get started. What's best?

We have an Aqua Genie with 2 main drains, but no returns like the traditional skimmer. Our pump (it's a Max-Flo) and pool size are listed below in my signature.

Any help ASAP will be appreciated, we are plumbing tomorrow (Wed, June 17th)...sorry to be wishy washy (no pun intended!) at the last minute.
    22K gal IG Vinyl 18'x36' rectangle (Hydra Pool Kit, Homebuilt DIY Spring09) 8' deep end
    Aqua Genie (No Main Drain, No Separate Returns), Hayward 1.5hp Pump, 24" sand filter & 2" Pipes, Jandy WaterColors LED Light, Flyte DeckII/FibreDive Board

:sun: Added for 2010~ SWG CompuPool CPSC36, "The Pool Cleaner 2x" suction cleaner, PICS of our DIY build, and our DIY Lime Green SLIDE refinishing project!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should we use 1 1/2" or 2" PVC for Plumbing our IG?

quote]It really depends on how many runs they are making back to the equipment pad. If they run a separate pipe for every fitting then 1.5" is fine. But the fewer pipes there are going back to the equipment pad, the more important it is for them to be larger[/quote]

I asked a similar guestion and above is what Jason said.
    My suction side is 2" and pressure side is 1.5" cause all my returns are separate runs.
    Hope this helps
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you saying you have no returns at all?

I know when I do mine, I will plumb all my lines with 2" sch pvc 40.

Any pics of the build? We'd love to see them! I know I would! 8)
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

2" isn't all that much more than 1 1/2" so even if you have separate runs, I would put in 2" given the choice.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's a little more info...

I think our pump fitting is 1 1/2".
    Will we really increase output if we use 2" PVC and then it's reduced to 1 1/2" at the pump?
    22K gal IG Vinyl 18'x36' rectangle (Hydra Pool Kit, Homebuilt DIY Spring09) 8' deep end
    Aqua Genie (No Main Drain, No Separate Returns), Hayward 1.5hp Pump, 24" sand filter & 2" Pipes, Jandy WaterColors LED Light, Flyte DeckII/FibreDive Board

:sun: Added for 2010~ SWG CompuPool CPSC36, "The Pool Cleaner 2x" suction cleaner, PICS of our DIY build, and our DIY Lime Green SLIDE refinishing project!

6. Back To Top    #6

This link will answer alot of questions. My fittings at pump, filter, heater are 2". The returns are fittings are 1 1/2". All these are plumbed with 2 1/2" pipe.

hydraulics-101-have-you-lost-your-head-t915.html
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by reallytiredteacher
    Here's a little more info...

I think our pump fitting is 1 1/2".
    Will we really increase output if we use 2" PVC and then it's reduced to 1 1/2" at the pump?
    Yes, you can use some adapters to change from 2" to 1 1/2". If most of the pipe is 2" instead of 1 1/2", the total head loss should go down by quite a bit and flow rate up by quite a bit.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks to all who posted on this pipe size question. We went with the 2' since we had not yet plumbed the pool.

Once again TFP to the rescue! And again I'm reminded why I joined as a LIFETIME Supporter and ordered the super duper test kit the first day I stumbled upon this site! Wuhoo!!!