Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slam VS Maintaining throughout the year.

1. Back To Top    #1

Slam VS Maintaining throughout the year.

Which is better? I am so tired of scrubbing my pool daily that I am thinking about just maintaining it.
    I have a 24ft round pool. 52in deep. 14k gallons. It has a sand filter. It is a chlorine pool that we got March, 2016. Above ground!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Slam VS Maintaining throughout the year.

If you don't get a lot of freezes at night in the winter, you may be happier maintaining it. A lot of folks in AZ and other southern locales keep the pool open and running year round. During the winter, I shift my pump runtime to late-night, and if there is a freeze watch/warning, I set the pump to run constantly until the temperature warms back up (very rare in Tucson, maybe more common in Texas). Chlorine consumption goes way down when the water is cold, which requires less oversight (I tended to test weekly this last winter), so it's a personal decision you have to make.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Also that is not a binary choice. I have closed for some winters and kept it going for others and I have never slammed my pool. The key is to close late and open early if you do shut it down for the winter.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

From Oct 1 till now I am at 6 to 7 gallons of 10% bleach used. Very easy to keep levels up my first winter I was adding once a week now with the Stener I don't even have to do that. So as triptyx said freeze would probably be your only concern, it takes a lot more to freeze than many think.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

Once my water is under 50F I stop dosing bleach on the regular. This is late Nov to early April.

But I do run the pump and clean the floor on weekends.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

We get a light freeze maybe once a year. Hard freezes are usually once every few years. We stopped using the pool around September or October.
    I have a 24ft round pool. 52in deep. 14k gallons. It has a sand filter. It is a chlorine pool that we got March, 2016. Above ground!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

So other than having to keep the leaves out of it, you could certainly keep it open if you wanted. As mentioned above, closing the pool early enough, then opening sooner before the water has a chance to warm up would likely require less SLAMming.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks!