Dark green pool

Hello all, Im relatively new here. Living in Charleston SC, we had a hurricane come through at the end of the season lasy year and the pool turned green. Since then I have tried shocking it with liquid bleach and almost got it clear once over the winter but the cold weather got me and now I am back to a deap dark green. I tried putting 12 gallons of bleach in the other day(30,000 gallon pool) and it never even phased the dark green tint. Where should I go from here?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No bueno, Harvmac. sorry. That test kit won't cut it- it doesn't contain the right chlorine or CYA tests.

TF-100 (even more the XL version) is what you want. It will measure your CYA which in turn tells you exactly how much chlorine you need to add to overcome that algae green beast.

If you've been adding any granular or puck type chlorine products to your pool, your CYA can easily by far higher than you expect.

See this--> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and also this--> SLAM Process

You can obtain the test kit quickly via TFTestkits.net They ship from NC so you should have it by Thursday I bet?

Yip :flower:

To let you know---your chlorine test will only go to 5.. THE TF100 will go to 50 with down to .5 accuracy. Down to .2 if ya' wanna get REALLY picky! You're gonna need a tad more than 5----and accurately per your CYA level.

Woody is giving you good advice. We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

In your pool those 12 bottles of bleach (they are 121oz each, not gallons) would have raised your chlorine by 32ppm. That might have been too little or too much based on the CYA level of your pool. Testing CYA is another test your 5 way kit probably doesn't have. Generally 5 way kits test Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Acid Demand and Total Alkalinity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.