Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dark green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Dark green pool

Hello all, Im relatively new here. Living in Charleston SC, we had a hurricane come through at the end of the season lasy year and the pool turned green. Since then I have tried shocking it with liquid bleach and almost got it clear once over the winter but the cold weather got me and now I am back to a deap dark green. I tried putting 12 gallons of bleach in the other day(30,000 gallon pool) and it never even phased the dark green tint. Where should I go from here?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dark green pool

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

If you're going to SLAM your pool to clear it, you'll need to get one of our recommended test kits in Pool School. Everything we will suggest revolves around your pool chemistry. Welcome.

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Please add a signature line to your profile listing your pool specifics and equipment so we can help you better.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a decent chemical tester I will post the numbers here shortly. How do I change my signature?

4. Back To Top    #4

Please describe "decent"/ Does it have a fas-dpd chlorine test and include a CYA test?

I'd recommend the TF100 from TFTestkits.net

Left click your user name on your post and click edit signature.
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Please describe "decent"/ Does it have a fas-dpd chlorine test and include a CYA test?
    Uh... it has 5 bottles of solution...
    Its called an HDX 5 way test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

No bueno, Harvmac. sorry. That test kit won't cut it- it doesn't contain the right chlorine or CYA tests.

TF-100 (even more the XL version) is what you want. It will measure your CYA which in turn tells you exactly how much chlorine you need to add to overcome that algae green beast.

If you've been adding any granular or puck type chlorine products to your pool, your CYA can easily by far higher than you expect.

See this--> FC/CYA Chart and also this--> SLAM

You can obtain the test kit quickly via TFTestkits.net They ship from NC so you should have it by Thursday I bet?

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

7. Back To Top    #7

To let you know---your chlorine test will only go to 5.. THE TF100 will go to 50 with down to .5 accuracy. Down to .2 if ya' wanna get REALLY picky! You're gonna need a tad more than 5----and accurately per your CYA level.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, may have to wait a bit to get it. A bit out of the "extra funds" budget. *sigh*

9. Back To Top    #9

Woody is giving you good advice. We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

In your pool those 12 bottles of bleach (they are 121oz each, not gallons) would have raised your chlorine by 32ppm. That might have been too little or too much based on the CYA level of your pool. Testing CYA is another test your 5 way kit probably doesn't have. Generally 5 way kits test Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Acid Demand and Total Alkalinity.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

10. Back To Top    #10

The TFT kit is totally worth it. With the kit, and the guidance here, we took our foreclosed, first time opened in 3 summers pool from this: Untitled by Carrie, on Flickr

to this:

13528937_10154227372254827_6455085598998638637_n by Carrie, on Flickr
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.