Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about TA and rising pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about TA and rising pH

I've noticed recently that my pH has been rising a bit faster than what it did last summer. Last summer I ended up keeping my pH pretty low to negate the rate of rise in the pH. My TA stayed around 40. Fast forward to now and my current TA is at 75 (result from last week) and my pH is rising pretty fast. I'll drop it to 7.2-7.4 and in just 2-3 days it's already back up close to 8. I had decided to aerate and lower it, so now it's currently at 60. Should I be concerned if I need to lower it back to around 40 like it was last year?
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin S200 Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about TA and rising pH

What are your Calcium levels? TA 40 is really pretty low, but may work depending on other factors. Also depending, you may be seeing pH rise from a lot of Spa running, and of course some from running the SWG. In any case, it's not a need to worry. Almost every pool will increase in pH and TA, but how fast varies greatly according to your makeup parameters.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

My opinion is that if you are testing regularly and your pH is keeping stable with a TA that low, then I wouldn't worry. In general practice 40 is a bit low for comfort, but as long as you are monitoring your pH and TA then it isn't going to crash on you. One thing, I would aim for a pH of 7.5 rather than 7.2. The pH rise often slows down as it rises and you might find it takes just as long to go from there to 8 as it does to go from 7.2 to 8.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    What are your Calcium levels? TA 40 is really pretty low, but may work depending on other factors. Also depending, you may be seeing pH rise from a lot of Spa running, and of course some from running the SWG. In any case, it's not a need to worry. Almost every pool will increase in pH and TA, but how fast varies greatly according to your makeup parameters.
    My current CH is 360.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    My opinion is that if you are testing regularly and your pH is keeping stable with a TA that low, then I wouldn't worry. In general practice 40 is a bit low for comfort, but as long as you are monitoring your pH and TA then it isn't going to crash on you. One thing, I would aim for a pH of 7.5 rather than 7.2. The pH rise often slows down as it rises and you might find it takes just as long to go from there to 8 as it does to go from 7.2 to 8.
    So you think it would be a good idea when I need to bring it down, to bring it down to 7.4-7.5 instead of 7.2? I was bringing it down to the lowest I could because it was rising so fast it seems.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin S200 Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I would give it a shot. The pH is likely recovering back to around 7.5 quite quickly and then slowly rising to 8. If you notice it seeming to rise quickly then you can go back to dropping it further.

Sent with Tapatalk on HTC Ten
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

6. Back To Top    #6

Cajun,

My SWCG pool like the pH at about 7.8. It will sit at 7.8 for several weeks before I have to add acid. It only sits at 7.2 for about 30 seconds...

Keep in mind your spa spillover will also cause your pH to increase, so if you are running it all the time, you might want to turn it off when you are not using it.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.