Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hey Guys and Gals

1. Back To Top    #1

Hey Guys and Gals

Owned a home with a pool for four years and I'm sick and tired of being a slave to the pool store. Thus, the reason I'm here! I hope to gain great knowledge from all of you and look forward to not having to throw money away on needless pucks of chlorine and shock.

Just getting my pool up and running from a green swamp this last winter. So far, I've managed to get the green out, kill all the algae, and now I'm on to removing all the dirt and dead algae from the bottom. My Taylor K2006 kit is on the way so I'll have some numbers up for you guys here in a few days.

As of right now with just my 5 way kit, here's my numbers:

FC: >5.0
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 110

From the pool store:

CYA: 90

I'm looking forward to being able to keep track of my own CYA and other numbers.

Chemically, my pool seems to be ok, although my CYA is higher than I want it.

I look forward to speaking with you all. Cheers from OKC.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hey Guys and Gals

Welcome to TFP!!

If your CYA is actually 90 then you have too little chlorine in the water. The absolute minimum should be 7, with you targeting 10 - 11 to keep it above the 7 floor. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Your first assignment when you get the K-2006 will be to test the CYA.

Secondly you will need to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to verify that all the algae is dead.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome. What Tim said is dead on. You need to maintain fc higher with cya that high
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup- bring us back all your test results when you get your spiffy new kit

Type them out like this (easier for us to digest):
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Then we can help you determine what needs to be done.

Have you read this?-->ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and other helpful articles in PoolSchool?

How did you "kill" all your algae and the green monster? What chemicals did you use?
    Can you add a signature line to the bottom with your equipment and pool specs on it? Thanks

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard