Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE filter started leaking after cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

DE filter started leaking after cleaning

it is dripping slowly from around the clamp. O-ring is lubed and clamp nut is torqued correctly.

Also, when I opened it back up I noticed that most of new DE is at the bottom, very little has got on the grids.
    Inground 28000 gal Concrete, Hayward Progrid DE filter 6020, US motors 1.5hp pump (3450rpm) , Polaris 360
    600 gal hot tub, Spa Vita, Nature2+MPS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE filter started leaking after cleaning

Archer,

DE will often slump off and fall to the bottom when new, and the filter is reopened... At least it has in my case..

How are you adding the new DE? The best way is to put it in a five gallon bucket and then add water to the bucket. I am always amazed how much water will still fit in the bucket. Stir into a really thin pancake batter and slowly pour into the skimmer, with the pump running..

I suspect the band was not tight or the O-Ring pinched.

How far was the bolt sticking through the nut? I always whack the band with a rubber mallet as I am tightening it, even though I think they say not to do that..

You really have little choice but to re-lube the O-Ring and give it another try.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Archer,

DE will often slump off and fall to the bottom when new, and the filter is reopened... At least it has in my case..

How are you adding the new DE? The best way is to put it in a five gallon bucket and then add water to the bucket. I am always amazed how much water will still fit in the bucket. Stir into a really thin pancake batter and slowly pour into the skimmer, with the pump running..

I suspect the band was not tight or the O-Ring pinched.

How far was the bolt sticking through the nut? I always whack the band with a rubber mallet as I am tightening it, even though I think they say not to do that..

You really have little choice but to re-lube the O-Ring and give it another try.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    I ordered a new O-ring- see what happens.

One thing I noticed is that when I add DE (using the bucket method) the pressure does not really go up. Is it not supposed to go up?
    Inground 28000 gal Concrete, Hayward Progrid DE filter 6020, US motors 1.5hp pump (3450rpm) , Polaris 360
    600 gal hot tub, Spa Vita, Nature2+MPS

4. Back To Top    #4

archer,

You know, I've never checked when running without DE?????

I have a couple of DE filters at rent houses and they both run about 10 PSI with fresh DE..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.