Balancing Water - After Baqua to Chlorine Conversion

bobc58

May 31, 2009
NE Ohio
This is my first set of complete test results following a successful conversion.

FC___3
CC___<.5
PH___7.5
TA___130
CH___170
CYA__30

This was my first CYA reading. The fluid was above the 30 line by about 1/4" before I could not see the black dot. That does seem accurate based on the amount of CYA added. I was being cautious. I added enough to bring CYA up closer to 35. I am going to use liquid chlorine most of the time unless I am going to be away for more than one day. The FC level dropped from 6.5 to 3 today (it was a sunny day). The charts put my target FC at around 4 and minimum at 2.

Do you add enough CL to keep the FC above the minimum at all times? It seems like the FC would need to be above the target in the morning to accomplish this. Am I on the right track? Is there anything in my test results that require adjusting?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Yup, you got it :goodjob:

Your numbers look great as is! :party:

You want to target 6 or 7 each night if that is your typical loss.
Edit: On second thought, a higher CYA level will probably reduce your loss more - target 40-50...end edit.

Do you use a solar cover? That helps cut down on loss from sunlight.

Congrats on your Trouble-Free Pool! :whoot: :cheers:

I will be using a solar cover but at this time it is still in the box. I want to get a solar cover reel to make it less of a pain to use the cover. I want to mount one on posts but I haven't began to search/compare products. I am sure I can get some recommendations from the TFP members.

If we go away for several days to a week, what is the recommended chlorine source? Are there any of the pucks for the skimmer basket that don't have CYA in them? I have a two speed pump and could leave it running on low while away.

Were you saying to target a CYA level of 40-50? Then I would use the chart to determine target & minimum FC.

Yes, exactly. CYA of 40-50 may help with the FC loss you are seeing.

For when you are away, a couple of trichlor tablets won't raise the CYA too much. IF it does you can always drain a little water to bring it back into range. As long as the pump is continuously running, the pucks in the skimmer are an option. I normally don't like pucks in the skimmer, but floaters can get stuck in one spot too, unless you have a way to keep it from getting stuck by the ladder... but as long as the pump is running...).

Incidentally, I just returned from a 10 day vacation. I shocked my pool to 16 the night before I left, covered it with the solar cover, and left the pump on low 24/7. I came home to a FC of 8....

We take a chance leaving the pump on....if you can have someone check on things, make sure the water level is up, etc....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.