First time pool owner with issues

Mar 26, 2017
Arlington, Texas
Hi, I bought a house last year with a 35 year old pool (house is 44). I didn't know it at the time and no inspector bothered to tell me that all of the bubbles it was blowing meant leaks. I had leak detection done and replaced 3 of 4 jets. Pool stabilized and was wonderful for most of the summer. Around Labor Day, the pump (pentair) runs well for 15 or 20 minutes, primes, few bubbles, and water returns to the pool cause ripples - then (after 15 minutes or so), the pump is no longer full of water (still running) and the returns become so weak that the water doesn't ripple anymore. Does anyone know what this means? We winterized last fall because I didn't know what else to do at the time. We are trying to get it running again now. I've replaced the o-ring in the pump basket lid and lubed it. I've read on this forum and tried some of the techniques: pouring water over joints and the pump lid looking for bubbles but see none. We've back-washed and completely cleaned the filter (inside panels were new last year).
Pool Is a gunite in ground pool (15-18000 gallons) with DE filter and pentair pump.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Check that the drain plug for the pump strainer basket is snug. If it is even a little loose it can cause an air leak. Also how high is the water level in the pool?

Have you noticed water loss when the pool pump is turned off?

Is there a wet spot on your equipment pad when the pump is running?

Yip :flower:

- - - Updated - - -

The water level is a few inches from the rim- well covering the skimmers.

That sounds a bit too high. The water should be at the half way to a touch more of the skimmer. Too little water and your pump can suck air, too much water and the skimmer action is hindered.

Yippee :flower:

Hi, we took it apart and washed the panels, then recharged it yesterday.

Sorry, I edited my response after I re-read your post and noticed you had already cleaned the filter. Air is getting sucked into the plumbing system somewhere between the skimmer and the filter. Another way to test the pipe joints would be to apply a thin layer of shaving creme on the joints while the pump is running and see if anything gets sucked in. You can use an inspection mirror to look at the underside of the pipe joints. It may be a very small air leak. If you could post a picture of your equipment pad that would help us troubleshoot your problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.