Jandy iQ904-PS - adding a 5th relay?

RichTJ99

Gold Supporter
Sep 16, 2016
Katonah NY
Hi,

I have the Jandy iQ904-PS . I bought it & installed it myself about 4 years ago - it has been great!

So all 4 relays are used:

Relay 1: Pool Pump
Relay 2: Cleaner pump
Relay 3: Hot tub blower
Relay 4: Pool lights

It looks like I 'could' have up to 8 relays. Can I just buy an extra relay & plug it into the Aux 5 port? It looks like I could but figured I would check.

Also (my pool is off for the winter) - Can I have the 5th relay on a scheduled timer? Say run aux 5 (which will be a stenner pump) from 12pm to 5pm?

Thanks,
Rich

I know that all the boards are the same (4 aux, 6 aux, and 8 aux) It is the software or chip that determines if the 5-8 relay sockets are enabled. What i would do is take one of your existing relays and plug it into the 5 socket and see if it works. I think all the iQ's are 8's, but i could be wrong. Good news is that it will be easy to check without having to buy a relay to see...

All relays should be able to be programmed for daily on off times..

Thanks - I called Zodiac & they said that i need a RS6 chip - Part number: R0466802. That would give me 6 aux outputs. The cost I am finding online is about $400 + shipping so I think I am going to go another route as a mechanical pool timer isnt ideal but would do the job for $30-$50. Bummer - it would have been much slicker.

Rich,

My EasyTouch has a Solar output that can be used as an "AuxEx" or extra aux relay if solar is not being used. Since all these automation systems are pretty much alike, you might want see if that is available on your unit.

I have an ET4 and this AuxEx basically gives me the 5th relay driver.. I did have to buy a relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I looked here: http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/0748-91071/6840.pdf

Page 14 shows the wiring. It does look like i have the solar heating option & it could be 220. I am not sure if I can get it to run two heaters at the same time though.

My dilemma is the my pool is opening for the season in about 2 weeks & I would like to get the pump ordered (stenner takes about 2 weeks to get to an order out). I would rather run everything through the Jandy unit but if I order the Stenner @ 220 & I cant get the Jandy unit to make it work then I would probably have been better off with a regular 120 powered unit.

Rich,

My EasyTouch has a Solar output that can be used as an "AuxEx" or extra aux relay if solar is not being used. Since all these automation systems are pretty much alike, you might want see if that is available on your unit.

I have an ET4 and this AuxEx basically gives me the 5th relay driver.. I did have to buy a relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rich,

I'm not sure I understand your question... :confused:

The Solar pump output from the PCB is 24 VDC. This could be used to energize a new relay. You would wire the new relay for 120 VAC or 220 VAC, whichever you want.

If that does not make sense, maybe you could ask your question again, so that an old, slow, geezer can understand it better... :D

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Sorry Jim - that sounded better in my head than when I read it out loud.

I bought one of these; Amazon.com: Zodiac R0658100 3-HP Relay with Harness Replacement Kit for Select Zodiac Jandy Pool and Spa Power Control System: Patio, Lawn Garden

I was planning on plugging that relay into Aux 5 which is ready to go - but of course I find the chip in my unit (RS4) can only do 4 relays.

I can order a chlorine pump (stenner) which is either 120VAC or 220VAC. I would like to use the pool controller as the timer.

I didnt realize i use use it as a 120 or 220 on the relay side but it occurs to me (since you said it) that I can use it as a 120 if i want too.

Here is my questions (I like to ramble - sorry).

I think the relay I bought is a VDC unit (based on the diagram) - did i buy the wrong unit?

I called Zodiac & they said if i use VDC I would also need to get a 7790 temp sensor to plug it into pins 3&4 and the temperature needs to be 5 degrees warmer than water temp which would activate the solar pump. In that case probably i couldnt use the unit until 10am - 6pm.

The temp sensor is $50 bucks (as much as a timer).

I am pretty confused at the moment.

Rich,

That is the right relay...

I know nothing about Jandy, I was thinking that you could use the solar relay output the same way Pentair allows you to use their solar relay output, as an extra Aux relay.

**** Look at your manual, page 13, Table 4.4, 1st line... Says if solar is not used, that "An Extra Aux is available".. sounds just like my EasyTouch.

If you can't tell how to do this reading the manual, then call Jandy and tell them you want to use the "Extra Aux" circuit and have them explain how to do it.

Mine works great.. I can schedule it just like any Aux relay...

Jim R

Jim,

thanks so much for the advice! I called them again to ask & was now told that yes, I could get a sensor & use the solar pump or.... I could just use the spare aux on the far right side - no jumper changes are required. Each time I call they tell me something new.

Either way this is going to work out great! Thank you for your help!

Thanks,
Rich

I ran across this same issue when installing a SuperFlo VS pump. This pump can be externally controlled with 4 relays for 4 separate speed settings. I just got Z-Wave relays and hooked it into my Vera Home Automation system and control it from there. I have and Autelis Pool Controller and the Vera Plugin for that to control everything else. If you are considering Home Automation in the future, I'd consider doing it now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So i am ready to get this started. Just a question on wiring though.

The relay has a line 1 / load 1 but I need a neutral for the outlet also. I dont recall from memory but I dont think I have a neutral bar in that box.

Is there an easier way to wire an outlet with a relay (or am I missing something obvious)?

Thanks,
Rich

- - - Updated - - -

I ran across this same issue when installing a SuperFlo VS pump. This pump can be externally controlled with 4 relays for 4 separate speed settings. I just got Z-Wave relays and hooked it into my Vera Home Automation system and control it from there. I have and Autelis Pool Controller and the Vera Plugin for that to control everything else. If you are considering Home Automation in the future, I'd consider doing it now.
he l
Sammy, I am using Insteon & have had good luck with it. I think my pump may be generating noise on the power line as those devices work much better when the pool isnt running. I love controling everything from the click of a phone.

Because the reliability is a little bit of a question-mark at the pool, i would hate to have it miss an off command & run the stenner pump an extra 24 hours in a row. Or have it miss coming on.

The Jandy box is something I am more comfortable with.

Now a new pump might be the ticket to make communications better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.