CYA too high, do I really have to empty half my pool ?

Jul 20, 2008
Queen Creek, AZ
I finally purchased the taylor Chlorine FAS-DPD and tested my pool and typed in the results in the pool calculator. Here are my results.

PH 7.8
FC 1
CC .5
TA 70
CH 350
CYA 70
also used the Lamatte borate test kit and the result is 50 ppm.

I have no idea if its living in Phoenix AZ with this heat, but I can't keep my FC at a stable state losing 2ppm per day. I know my CYA is off but getting mixed info on emptying half my pool or getting a CYA reducer. Please help. It's getting expensive keeping the FC at normal levels.

P.S. lower the PH tonight to 7.6

2ppm/day is average loss. a lower cya won't make a difference (yes you can keep the fc at a lower level, but you will still lose 2ppm per day), and if it's too low it could make it worse, esp in phoenix. there is no such thing as a cya reducer (or if there is please tell me). what chlorination method are you using? have you shopped around for liquid chlorine prices? I would assume you guys have that out there in phoenix.
at any rate, the other option is a salt water generator, but if chlorine is too expensive, that's probably too expensive also. at 2ppm/day (which is my loss also), liquid chlorine is still a cheaper option for me.

Are you losing MORE than 2ppm a day? If so, perform an overnight FC test to see if there is something else going on. 70 should be okay in your neck of the woods, certainly manageable. Can you use a solar cover? This helps cut down on the FC loss.

Your CYA level is acceptable, especially if the pool gets full sunlight all day.

With a CYA level of 70, you want to maintain a FC level of around 5 to 8, and never let FC go below 5. With FC as low as you have it now algae can easily get started.

If you are saying that you lose 2 ppm of chlorine a day, that is fairly normal. Raising your FC level into the correct range will probably lower your daily FC loss a little bit, but not all that much.

reebok said:
2ppm/day is average loss. a lower cya won't make a difference (yes you can keep the fc at a lower level, but you will still lose 2ppm per day), and if it's too low it could make it worse, esp in phoenix. there is no such thing as a cya reducer (or if there is please tell me). what chlorination method are you using? have you shopped around for liquid chlorine prices? I would assume you guys have that out there in phoenix.
at any rate, the other option is a salt water generator, but if chlorine is too expensive, that's probably too expensive also. at 2ppm/day (which is my loss also), liquid chlorine is still a cheaper option for me.

BTW, I'm using biogaurd smart shock and biogaurd 3 inch silk tabs. I used the products last year and they worked great.

I doubt you will be able to find any Cyanuric Acid Reducer. That came out several years ago, was very expensive, didn't usually work, and vanished from the market. I see some references to it are still on the web, but I can't find anyone who is still selling it.

Your Bioguard Smart shock is Dichlor, correct? That will raise your CYA even higher....not sure if you want to continue using the products. You can keep them and use them from time to time, but with regular use your CYA is going to become to high to manage your water chemistry properly, and using the Bioguard will only aggrevate the issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
gsmiley said:
thanks for your quick replies, I'll super shock the pool and see what happens. here is a link to a reducer

http://www1.shopping.com/xPF-Cyanuric-Acid-Reducer
I have spoken in person to one of the developers of this product and had extensive email communication with his ex partner and I got it "right from the horses mouth" that the product should not be used if you need to reduce the CYA by more than about 20-30 ppm. If you need to reduce it more than that they said to drain and refill because the stuff won't cut it. As far as that goes, if you look at the price of water needed to reduce the CYA by 20-30 ppm vs the cost of the CYA reducer it just doesn't make sense dollar wise.

gsmiley said:
oh great I just spent a ton of money on this stuff :(. OH well, thats all I have for now and the pool looks great. I'll try the BBB method next year :)
I am going to make a prediction. When your pool turns green because your CYA level has gone through the roof and you are tired of throwing money at your Bioguard dealer to fix it you will be switching. I also predict that it will happen by August, given your current CYA level and knowing how quickly dichlor adds CYA. (For every 10 ppm FC added it will add 9 ppm of CYA--do the math.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.