Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster Pump Overheating

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster Pump Overheating

We noticed our Polaris hasn't been picking up lately so I went to investigate.

Our booster pump (Hayward 3/4hp) starts buzzing, heats up and the thermal protector kicks in and shuts the motor off.

The pump is 5 years old. I've read that the most common issues are debris blocking the impeller or bad bearings. The pump is plumbed in so I can't pop off hoses and look inside. The booster comes after the cartridge filter which I cleaned today (not related to issue as I cleaned the filter after finding the broken pump).

My question is: Is a 5 year old pump worth fixing or should I just pony up the $240 to buy a new one? I'm handy but don't have tons of free time and have never rebuilt a motor.
    Size: 21,000 w/SPA IG/Pebble & Hayward 400k BTU Heater
    Sanitizer: Hayward GLX-CELL-15-W 40K-Gallon Turbo Salt Cell + Bleach
    Filter: Hayward C5530 Cartridge Filter w/ 2-speed 2.5hp pump
    Cleaner: Black Polaris 280 w/ Booster Pump
    Install: Mar 2012, city water (no restrictions), Test kit: TF-100, Salt, Borate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster Pump Overheating

Just a thought.
    My booster pump requires that the pool pump be on also. Is this the case with yours? I know they said if mine was not synced it could burn up the booster pump.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Booster Pump Overheating

Quote Originally Posted by rphpool View Post
    Just a thought.
    My booster pump requires that the pool pump be on also. Is this the case with yours? I know they said if mine was not synced it could burn up the booster pump.
    Yes, my system requires that the main pump be on before it will allow the booster pump to engage. There are no problems with that.
    Size: 21,000 w/SPA IG/Pebble & Hayward 400k BTU Heater
    Sanitizer: Hayward GLX-CELL-15-W 40K-Gallon Turbo Salt Cell + Bleach
    Filter: Hayward C5530 Cartridge Filter w/ 2-speed 2.5hp pump
    Cleaner: Black Polaris 280 w/ Booster Pump
    Install: Mar 2012, city water (no restrictions), Test kit: TF-100, Salt, Borate