Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Recommendation for Above Ground Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Recommendation for Above Ground Pool

I have an Above Ground Pool, the details are in my signature. Last year, I used a Hayward Catridge Filter. It worked, but was pretty unimpressive. When looking at the water return, you could see particles still coming through. I'm not satisfied with the level of filtration.

I've been reading a few articles about different types of filters and I'm gaining interest in Sand & DE. Can anyone make any recommendations on the best filtration systems? Which do you prefer and why? Are sand and DE harder to clean and maintain?

I appreciate any and all information. I'd like to make a new purchase pretty soon.

Thanks for the help.
    8600 gal, AG Vinyl,Hayward ASL Series C1250 Cartridge Filter, Hayward Power Flo LX Pump, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Recommendation for Above Ground Pool

What about trying a new Pleatco cartridge first? I am much happier with some replacement Pleatco cartridges in my filter than I was with the OEM filters. They work better, last longer, are easier to clean and generally are better.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Filter Recommendation for Above Ground Pool

Thanks for the response.

I'll check it out. I bought a house last year and used the cartridge that the previous owner had. I'll buy a filter and see if there is a difference. My filter is pretty ancient, it's an oldschool Hayward.

So, you prefer the catridge filter to DE and Sand?
    8600 gal, AG Vinyl,Hayward ASL Series C1250 Cartridge Filter, Hayward Power Flo LX Pump, TF-100