Plunge pool on balcony question

Mar 24, 2017
Mexico
Hi all, I have just bought a condo with a plunge pool on the balcony (in Mexico). My pool heats up fine, but the pump or circulator or whatever that thing is when I turn the switch is so noisy with this whirring like noise. I am having a pool company come over on Monday and I am sure they are going to say I need something new. The pool is 10'6"L x 5'6" wide x 4 feet deep. I know it has a sand pump or circulator in there now because the guy taking care of the pool told me he changed the sand. I seriously (as you can tell) know nothing about pools and all I want is to be able to sit on my balcony and not hear that whirring noise when the pump goes on. What should I be looking for? The pool is super clean and the water is clear, so those things are not the issue, it is the noise. Do I need to replace the pump, the circulator, everything? It sits down in a little well-house under the stairs (3) to get up to the pool.

Hi all, I have just bought a condo with a plunge pool on the balcony (in Mexico). My pool heats up fine, but the pump or circulator or whatever that thing is when I turn the switch is so noisy with this whirring like noise. I am having a pool company come over on Monday and I am sure they are going to say I need something new. The pool is 10'6"L x 5'6" wide x 4 feet deep. I know it has a sand pump or circulator in there now because the guy taking care of the pool told me he changed the sand. I seriously (as you can tell) know nothing about pools and all I want is to be able to sit on my balcony and not hear that whirring noise when the pump goes on. What should I be looking for? The pool is super clean and the water is clear, so those things are not the issue, it is the noise. Do I need to replace the pump, the circulator, everything? It sits down in a little well-house under the stairs (3) to get up to the pool.

I just had my son crawl down and he told me the circulator is a Hayward Vari-flow 75 GPm and 50 PSI and the pump is an ORUM. I can find no information about an ORUM pump. Is this just too noisy of a pump? One of the other owners here has an ECO 1 and their pump is super quiet. Do you think I should replace everything or just the pump?

Some sounds are normal. If it sounds like a repetitive mechanical sound, it probably is coming from your pump. If it's a random clicking sound, could be some debris trapped in one of your valves, or pump. If your system is working well, i.e., water is clear, you might consider trying to baffle the pool area, put up some sound insulation, etc. Just be careful to still allow for air flow so your equipment doesn't overheat. If money is no object, then sure, you can replace all of your equipment, then you'll have knowledge of exactly what things are. However, pool equipment wears out over time, so you could just wait until you have a problem. Another idea, turn off the pump when you are on your balcony. Maybe put a switch up there, should be cheaper than new equipment. I have a small waterfall in pool, and when I turn it off, it sounds so different to just have that silence.

Good luck!

Take care,
Mo

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.