adjusting ph during conversion

Jun 9, 2009
new convert here.... We have started our conversion and are only 3 days in as of today. We lowered the pool to fix a small leak and refilled. Using the pool calc. and assuming zero FC we added 532 oz. of 6% bleach. I need to say now we only have a cheapo test kit that tests only for chlorine/ph. We are waiting on our new TF100 to arrive(today? tomorrow?) Anyway, the chlorine was way off the chart. We added more later in the day. It appeared to be in the 2-3 range before adding. We did experience greenish/brown water but not as bad as some of the pictures we've seen here. We've monitored pretty constantly for the last 3 days and added a total of 12 gallons so far. After one day it started clearing to the blue/hazy stage and before dark actually looked clear. This morning added to the yellow to orange color(cheapo) and just got home and checked it,in the rain. It's down to the .5-1 range. We're adding more bleach to take it back up but my question is(finally) My PH is creeping up (8.2+), started at 7.4. Can this be from aeration? Do I adjust this during the conversion process(add muriatic acid) or just continue pouring on the FC until it holds? I will post full test levels as soon as I can. Great Site. Thanks so much.

New question.... Last night added 460 oz of 6% bleach and brought FC up above what my cheap tester could read. should have been close to 15(pool calc.) Checked it again this morning and it appeared to be still above 5 on the tester. Added 182 oz. of 6%(all I had) and went to work. My wife called and said we received our TF100 kit(yeahhh). When I came home I tested and results follow. New question is : can i really use up all my fc during a completely overcast day? We are working on posting pictures but for now I can just say the pool looks great and it seems weird that it needs/consumes that much???

Test Results(45 min.after adding bleach)

FC= 17.5
CC=0
PH=8.2+ (FALSE?)
T/A=570 ( WHAT THE ? )
CYA=0

Will continue monitoring/adding bleach. any suggestions? Thanks to all.

Also, how to change username? Need a cooler handle. Thanks

andy leonhardt said:
New question.... Last night added 460 oz of 6% bleach and brought FC up above what my cheap tester could read. should have been close to 15(pool calc.) Checked it again this morning and it appeared to be still above 5 on the tester. Added 182 oz. of 6%(all I had) and went to work. My wife called and said we received our TF100 kit(yeahhh). When I came home I tested and results follow. New question is : can i really use up all my fc during a completely overcast day? We are working on posting pictures but for now I can just say the pool looks great and it seems weird that it needs/consumes that much???

Test Results(45 min.after adding bleach)

FC= 17.5 Aim for FC of 15 and try not to overshoot.
CC=0
PH=8.2+ (FALSE?)Yep, false because of your high Fc. Retest pH afte FC drops below 10
T/A=570 ( WHAT THE ? ) Retest and this time wipe the bottle tip with a damp cloth in between drops.
CYA=0 Should be zero. Don't use your reagents on this test yet.

Will continue monitoring/adding bleach. any suggestions? Thanks to all.

Also, how to change username? Need a cooler handle.
Want a cooler handle? KWYM 8) Send a PM to JasonLion :mrgreen:BUT, fair warning, Jason is up to his neck in alligators at the moment working on the site! It may be a while before he is able to respond! Thanks

Thanks again for all the help!!!!!

8am test results:

FC=9
CC=.5
T/A=260

Dropped by 2ppm overnight, am going to add to 15ppm again this morning and check again later tonite. This site and the new test kit are awesome!!!!!! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Howdy!!!! am in a good mood because finally a little bit of sunshine while testing the waters. In my search today for Walmart bleach(3 stores-2 182 oz jugs total :rant: ) I became frustrated and resigned to the fact I was going have to buy more expensive bleach. While I was at Meijer I decided to just look in their pool dept. to check on the price of liquid chlorinator. THEY HAD 10% CHLORINATOR FOR $9.99 A CASE(4 gal.) Hopefully it is fresh and I got a deal. Here's tonights test results:8PM

FC=0
T/A=250

I'm going out to add the new chlorinator to 15ppm. Last night only lost 2ppm. If I do the overnight loss test and only lose 1ppm am I done with the conversion? It seems odd as I am at zero now???? Help!?

andy leonhardt said:
I'm going out to add the new chlorinator to 15ppm. Last night only lost 2ppm. If I do the overnight loss test and only lose 1ppm am I done with the conversion? It seems odd as I am at zero now???? Help!?

It's not odd at all, perfectly normal. You can move into the final stages if your FC holds overnight. :goodjob:

:( :( Had major storms last night. Tested before bed and was at 16ppm :hammer: (oops-I know I need to try not to overshoot) We did put on our reel and solar cover last night so I kind of expected a loss due to last years baq-klingons. couples with the rain,lost 3.5ppm last night. Expecting more rain today. Will monitor more.... Thanks to all :cheers:

I AM SICK OF RAIN. Brought FC up again in the evening to 16ppm and really believe I'm at the point to start completion of the conversion but noooo, it has to rain all &%*$ night again. FC this morning is 13.5 I'm getting frustrated because it seem like we made so much progress the first few days but the last 3 have been just dumping bleach to make up for the rain :evil: I'm sure tonight i'll be at 0 again. Can I put in any CYA at this point to save some FC? Thanks all!

Alright.... back on line.did not post yesterday(Daddy Day) Lost only .5 FC overnite on sat. nite. CC still.5 PH 8.2+ T/A 260

Cleaned out filter(rinsed off cartridge,soaked in muriatic/water solution), rinsed again and reassembled, added new DE
Added 4 lbs cya/stabilizer(sock) Did not attempt to correct anything else. Wanted to see how the CYA affected FC loss.
Tested today@9:30pm(daughters softball game after work-we won) Test results as follows:

FC=1.5
CC=.5
PH=8.2
T/A=230
CYA<20 (still a partial sock left)

Added 53oz. of 10% bleach(shooting for 4ppm)
Added 62oz. muriatic acid(going for 7.8ppm)

Pool calculator said to lower ph to lower T/A and aerate to bring back up PH. Will lowering the PH bring down my T/A or do I need to do anything else? Water is clear and sparkling :whoot: The sides and bottom seem to have a"graininess" to them. You can rub it off and we(the wife) will brush and vacuum it all tomorrow. whats that from?

Thanks for all the help.

You should be lowering your PH much lower than 7.8. 7.8 is the highest you should allow the PH to get. Given your high TA, you should be lowering the PH to around 7.2. Remember not to try to measure PH when the FC level is high.

There are full instructions on lowering TA at Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.