Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I crazy to try a used aquabot turbo?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I crazy to try a used aquabot turbo?

I have a Polaris 9300xi that is having trouble with getting stuck on my pool steps. I found a used aquabot for under $400 with a 30 day warranty. Am I crazy to consider a robot w/o warranty or would it be worth giving the aquabot a try?
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir. Apera Instruments AI311 PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I crazy to try a used aquabot turbo?

Sorry, I don't know those or their prices, but Robots are the way to go. Wouldn't want to be without mine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Digit,

I have bought four used robots from Craig's list. Two were sold to me in "working" condition, and two were sold for "parts".

All of them were old as dirt Dolphin Diagnostics...

One has been working for the past four years in a rent house pool.

One worked for about two years and I repaired it using the extra parts.

One that I bought for "parts" just had a bad power supply and is still working today at another rent house.

I guess my point is that it is always a risk when buying used items and there is no way to know for sure what you are going to get.

But, if the seller will give you a 30 day warranty, it might be worth the risk. Although it seems to me $400 is a lot of money for a used $600 to $800 machine.

All that said... Once your go Robot, you'll never go back...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

I couldn't find much searching for reports on the aquabot classic turbo. Hopefully someone can comment. It seems like most robots have a relatively short lifespan compared to price.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir. Apera Instruments AI311 PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester

5. Back To Top    #5

I would not buy a used robot unless you can get some type of extended warranty which usually you can't with used products. The motors themselves are 250+, power supply is 200 etc. One failure and its not uncommon and you will be throwing the robot away. For 600 you can get a smartpool with 2 year warranty. You can also sometimes find refurbs and open boxes cheap on ebay that will allow purchasing an extended warranty.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.