Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Today's DUMBEST question!

1. Back To Top    #1

Today's DUMBEST question!

So, squeezie and I are schlepping along in Homie D's pondering the height of their ceilings and how much concrete they poured to make the place...and wondering where the golly they put the POOL SALT. Turns out, it was in the plumbing section, just downstream from the spigots and what not.

They have plenties of salts. All of them in jumbo, 40 pound bags. For those of you from foreign lands, or those of you steeped in the ways of the mother land, that's a 18.1437 kgs...apparently NOT caps, and not with an apostrophe!!! (Squeezie is quite the grammarist) IOW, big bags of NaCl.

Here (as I am sure you are just dying to know by now) is my query....WHAT is the diff between POOL SALT and WATER SOFTENER SALT besides 3 dollar per bag?

Cuz....I'm pretty cheap. And I usually end up adding 5-8 bags per season. And, at 3 times 8....I could buy a CASE of Stella at Costco, and have 4 bucks to buy bleach at Dollar General to boot!

I'm also confused about NatGas and LP gas. Which one has more Britches Thermocouple units per jibjab? And, why are PERSIAN rugs so expensive? What about the Lindbergh baby? Why is Kevin O'Leary such a jerk? Why does dark air, produce less lift?
    8-10,000 Gallon In Ground Pleasure Pond. Probably 15 (?) years old.
    Recently new Groovy Blue Vinyl liner. Newer Hayward DE filter and Aqua-Rite SWG system.
    Eight Passive Solar Heating Panels. 1HP single speed motor.
    Virginia Beach, VA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Today's DUMBEST question!

Softener salt...sometimes has additives for cleaning the resin of Iron...and what not. That that does not, is the same as plain old salt. Look at the purity on the bag, and just buy the stuff without the additives. It's plainly marked.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

So what I think you mean, is that I actually have to READ the label? WOWMOM!

OK. I'll buy the good stuff.
    Recently new Groovy Blue Vinyl liner. Newer Hayward DE filter and Aqua-Rite SWG system.
    Virginia Beach, VA.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm all over the Stella from Costco, but geez, be careful with the dollar store bleach.

It sometimes is only worth a dollar when the bleach is 3%. Check the label and date code carefully and if your pool responds the way you expect.

Walmart bleach (and I despise Wallyworld*) is usually your best bet....check in the pool section for their Pool Liquid Chlorine 10%. Compare prices.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    So what I think you mean, is that I actually have to READ the label? WOWMOM!

OK. I'll buy the good stuff.
    Nope. Spftener salt without additives is fine. Buy the type thats just rock salt because pellet types take longer to dissolve. If you have time, no matter.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Cuz....I'm pretty cheap. And I usually end up adding 5-8 bags per season. And, at 3 times 8....I could buy a CASE of Stella at Costco, and have 4 bucks to buy bleach at Dollar General to boot!
    VA Beach native myself, Cox High class of 82. And that Stella is good stuff.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

7. Back To Top    #7

Look for the solar salt. No additives and just larger chunks than the pool salt. So instead of dissolving in 2 minutes like the pool salt, it might take 10 minutes. Plus the kids like to play with it as it dissolves.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

All great replies! Many thanks. This is a terrific forum!

Turns out, WallyWorld (which I also despise) has pool salt for just over 5 bucks per 40 lb bag. So, there's a tidy savings. They also have shredded brown mulch for 2 bucks per 2 cu. ft. bag which is at least a buck cheaper than HD, or a dollar sixty-seven if you buy the nicer stuff.

As for VB, I am (alas) a come here in 1995, an interloper if you will along with being a pool neophyte. But I have learned a few things, and Leslie isn't one of them.
    Virginia Beach, VA.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good for you!

I buy solar crystals for my softener, and it's just clean rock salt. Buying "pool salt" is just silly. It's too early for a clever, cheeky analogy but you know what I mean. Glad you found us. It is a great place that helps lots a peeps with their Pools.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

10. Back To Top    #10

For the rest of your questions.

I'm also confused about NatGas and LP gas. Which one has more Britches Thermocouple units per jibjab?
    Propane has 2.4 times more energy per unit than natural gas but is still nearly always more expensive to use, often significantly more.

And, why are PERSIAN rugs so expensive?
    Because they are handmade and take a long time to make.

What about the Lindbergh baby?
    What lindbergh baby?

Why is Kevin O'Leary such a jerk?
    Who?

Why does dark air, produce less lift?
    Because it is colder.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

I didn't know of any connection between trousers, and petrol gasses, but hey, I can always learn.

Didn't they find the Lindy Baby?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't know I spend all my time here or in my pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

As far as the Lindbergh baby, a little history. Norman Schwarzkopf's father was the lead investigator in the kidnapping.
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Reddogdan View Post
    As far as the Lindbergh baby, a little history. Norman Schwarzkopf's father was the lead investigator in the kidnapping.
    LOL y'all are too funny!
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

15. Back To Top    #15

I guess Lebowski is at the Bowling Alley...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

The Dude, abides.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir