Green and cloudy pool

Mar 21, 2017
Duncan, Oklhoma
I have a metal frame coleman 6k gallon pool with a sand filter. I have been working on this pool for a week now and got my ph and alkalinity perfect but my free chlorine is still testing 0.5 after dumping a gallon of bleach into the pool. Should I do more bleach? If so, how much?

So in total how much bleach have you added? Was it all at one time and when?

Until your test kit arrives I would suggest adding 1/2 gallon of bleach every day and brushing immediately after. It won't cure what ails the pool but its a start.

We think so little of pool store testing that I hesitate to suggest anything in particular based on it.

Go stock up on bleach, and a gallon of muriatic acid if you don't already have one. Ten jugs of plain, unscented, indoor laundry type bleach which is usually 8.25% would be a good amount to start with. Walmart bleach is fine. Don't buy it from Lowes or Home Depot.

Start reading this: SLAM Process
Let us know when your test kit arrives and tell us the results. Then we can jump in and get this thang done!! :shark:

Yip :flower:

Welcome.

Pump motors are designed to run 24/7. I would continue to add a 1/2 (large) jug of bleach every day until your test kit arrives. This will add about 10ppm of FC each time, which will be quickly consumed by killing algae. Keep brushing to get the algae exposed to the chlorine as algae will develop a bio-film, or skin, as protection.

Once you post a set of accurate readings from your own test kit, we can get you in the right path.

Are you familiar with the SLAM procedure?

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Hi Mkla,

I will kindly suggest that you get more FAS/DPD testing reagents if you ordered the K2006. If you have enough to complete this SLAM process, you'll be very low, or soon be out for the season remainder.

While you are waiting, please jump into Pool School, and begin with the ABCs. Study all you can handle, and ask questions here in the forum all you like. There will always be many who are happy to walk you through if things come up. Getting a good handle on basic knowledge will be key to your success. Links to all this are in my signature, so click on those to find it.

Good luck, and do keep us posted so we can help.

Okay where can I get more of the fas/dpd at for the cheapest price? Before I joined this forum I spent over $100 on chemical, then when I realized those chemicals were useless, I spent another $65 on this test kit. On top of that I had to go buy a new skimmer and vacuum. I'm running a little low on funds this week. Also, how long will the other tests last in this kit? Will I have to buy another one next summer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.