Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green and cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Green and cloudy pool

I have a metal frame coleman 6k gallon pool with a sand filter. I have been working on this pool for a week now and got my ph and alkalinity perfect but my free chlorine is still testing 0.5 after dumping a gallon of bleach into the pool. Should I do more bleach? If so, how much?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green and cloudy pool

Can you provide your test results for:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

....and which test kit you're using to obtain those?

Thanks

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm still waiting on my Taylor kit to come in so I just took a sample to two different pool stores. Both came out the same.

FC: 0.5
    CC: 0.7
    PH: 7.5
    TA:113
    CH: 364
    CYA: 51

4. Back To Top    #4

So in total how much bleach have you added? Was it all at one time and when?

Until your test kit arrives I would suggest adding 1/2 gallon of bleach every day and brushing immediately after. It won't cure what ails the pool but its a start.

We think so little of pool store testing that I hesitate to suggest anything in particular based on it.

Go stock up on bleach, and a gallon of muriatic acid if you don't already have one. Ten jugs of plain, unscented, indoor laundry type bleach which is usually 8.25% would be a good amount to start with. Walmart bleach is fine. Don't buy it from Lowes or Home Depot.

Start reading this: SLAM
    Let us know when your test kit arrives and tell us the results. Then we can jump in and get this thang done!!

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay thank you! It should be here by Thursday. I just hate to leave my filter running all week if it's not even helping anything. Should I turn the filter off until the kit gets here? I've been running it for 24hrs a day for a week.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome.

Pump motors are designed to run 24/7. I would continue to add a 1/2 (large) jug of bleach every day until your test kit arrives. This will add about 10ppm of FC each time, which will be quickly consumed by killing algae. Keep brushing to get the algae exposed to the chlorine as algae will develop a bio-film, or skin, as protection.

Once you post a set of accurate readings from your own test kit, we can get you in the right path.

Are you familiar with the SLAM procedure?

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Mkla,

I will kindly suggest that you get more FAS/DPD testing reagents if you ordered the K2006. If you have enough to complete this SLAM process, you'll be very low, or soon be out for the season remainder.

While you are waiting, please jump into Pool School, and begin with the ABCs. Study all you can handle, and ask questions here in the forum all you like. There will always be many who are happy to walk you through if things come up. Getting a good handle on basic knowledge will be key to your success. Links to all this are in my signature, so click on those to find it.

Good luck, and do keep us posted so we can help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay where can I get more of the fas/dpd at for the cheapest price? Before I joined this forum I spent over $100 on chemical, then when I realized those chemicals were useless, I spent another $65 on this test kit. On top of that I had to go buy a new skimmer and vacuum. I'm running a little low on funds this week. Also, how long will the other tests last in this kit? Will I have to buy another one next summer?

9. Back To Top    #9

Will this work?
    Taylor Replacement Reagent FAS-DPD Refill Kit (Large) - Over 100 Tests https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QRI2UCA..._Y781ybB9RV5M7

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Yes that will do.

I get mine from TF Testkits. They ship fast.

TFTestkits.net
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!