Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Northern IL - when do you usually open?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern IL - when do you usually open?

I'll be opening my pool this spring, for the first time after our first season last where you all brought me through first time pool owner ship, a SLAM, sparkling water and DIY fall closing.

So, when do you open, if you live in this area?

Not sure when I should expect to be working on this. I tested water temp in the skimmer (our water Level came up since closing), but I'm figuring the 55 degrees there was not necessarily representative of the whole pool.
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Northern IL - when do you usually open?

No matter where you live, the best time to open is before the water temp gets to be 60. This gives you time to tweak your chemistry before algae gets too warm and active.

When you close we also recommend doing it when the temp hits 60 or lower (assuming you've maintained the pool the entire time and will be closing a clean pool)

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Northern IL - when do you usually open?

Probably mid-April for the best chance at a clear pool absent any other mitigating techniques such as adding Polyquat or some bleach (and circulating). If you have a mesh cover and your water is visible on the cover (due to the raised level you mentioned), that water gets warmed fast and also sees sunlight. It's a strong theory of mine that that can cause algae in pools in spring that would otherwise be clear.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!