Stone too soft for SWG?

GJB

Mar 17, 2017
San Diego, CA
Just realized that the coping around our IG pool may be too soft for a SWG. Taking a look at it now you can see how it has spots that have eroded over time. Not sure if it's a sandstone or limestone, but it definitely looks porous. Would sealing it be OK and still use a SWG? Or should we avoid SWG - and if so, what's the next best way to chlorinate?

GJB,

Why do you think the saltwater has anything to do with what you are seeing? Soft stone will erode from water in general, the amount of salt in a saltwater pool will make little difference.

You can't hurt anything by trying to seal it, but I have my doubts that it will do much good. My daughter has flagstone around her pool. Her flagstone was flaking long before it became a saltwater pool. Since becoming a SWCG pool, nothing seems to have changed. The flaky stones are still flaking and the non-flaky stones are still not flaking.

I would not stop using the SWCG, as I don't think that is the source of the problem.

Thanks for posting and maybe we'll here from some members that have used a sealer..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.