My OB in Vegas!

SPL

Aug 18, 2016
Las Vegas
I am doing an O/B in Vegas with gunite coming in on Tuesday. A few challenges with gunite contractors lately but I think we are on track. How is everyone looking for lead times on plaster? Seems like the subs are all getting busy early this year. BTW, had great luck with excavation, plumbing, and steel. Landscaping is under contract and hope to finalize coping and tile shortly.

Re: Vegas OB! Just got plans back and need some feedback (pics included :) )

I would love to start a thread but am afraid I would be the guy who starts with a picture of a bare backyard in post one and a picture of a finished pool in post number two. I wish I had more time. I don't want to fill up your thread with my stuff but what I did find most helpful from everyone was pricing so here are some numbers so far.

Design Did my own with Structure Studios subscription $165 per month
Layout and Engineering $ 700
Permits $ 862
Excavation (including sunken fire pit area and side yard) $3795
Plumbing (including in floor labor and pipe but not equipment) $4930
Electrical (labor only) $2830
Steel $3610
Gunite (pool only) they are spraying all the raised planter beds also $8250

If there is a lot of interest, i will start my own thread.

Re: My OB in Vagas!

I sent you an email SPL with some helpful information.
And of COURSE we want to hear about your build and see pictures , what kind of question is that lol.
Your build will help others and myself just as others has helped ours. Plus you may have some features I want to add to my pool as well [emoji12]
The sunken fire pit seems awesome , would love to see your design as well as pics of progress so far. I'm at plumbing stage now so I'm not to far behind you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please keep going with your own thread. We love ALL threads! Each one gives unique information and is helpful to someone. Post as much as you have time for - threads come in all lengths. I worried my build thread was too long, then someone posted it was their intention to use their thread as a progress journal or diary of their build. I think that's a great reason. After 18 months from my pool fill date, I have forgotten many of the timelines for the build stages. But my thread and the pictures allow me to go back and get the info when I need it. Also, having the thread forced me take more pictures than I otherwise would have. Pictures of each phase are so important. You never know when you will need some minute item in a picture for confirmation of a problem or something else. It was about 2 months after our pool was filled that I realized we didn't have as many jets in the spa as in the contract. (a friend pointed that out to me) Yet I couldn't believe I hadn't counted them after the pipes were set before gunite. Well, I found the pre-gunite picture that proved we did have the right number. Turned out the plaster guys had plastered right over one. It was an easy fix especially in the spa, and no harm was done. I've had a few other questions but no pictures to back up the answers. Wish I had taken more!!!

My hat is off to anyone who does an OB. Let your thread be your documentation. Good luck in every way! There's nothing like your own pool!!!

Take care,
Suz

Hi! I am so glad to see you have a build thread! I can't wait to hear about and see all that has happened and what is next. Post and add pics as you can. No pressure (says the "I want pictures" queen :roll:)!

Kim:kim:

Ok Kim, I just jumped back from Big Will's thread. I was wondering what was going on with SPL's thread. I almost asked in my post above, "Isn't THIS your thread?" since he seemed undecided if he should start his own thread. Hahaha! I should have known you had something to do with this! Way to go Kim! Uh Huh, Uh Huh [clap, clap, clap].:kim:

You see, SPL, if you can't decide on something, trust me, the TFP gang will decide for you! Now you're committed to your own thread!!! Yay!!!!

Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

cool...another local build! I like the design too. Excellent use of the shallow space. I'll definitely enjoy watching this come together too.

And please take and share lots of pictures. It's a really nice walk down memory lane to go back in your thread and see all of the progress. I found it kind of helpful when it seemed like nothing was getting done to realize just how much had been accomplished.

Plus, it keeps the rest of us entertained....;)

I was watching your posts and saw how creative you were with your design. Pretty creative to wrap the pool around the house like you did. You also got a nice headstart on building season. I will do my best to keep up with the pictures

Shotcreet done and waterline tile going in today. Hopefully coping over the weekend and stacked stone early next week. Put a call in the landscaper to let him know he can start on the pavers and plants late next week.
c59a597a95ae1a727ee00189fd92ee63.jpg
d662353c355c7173efbbd557c5382afe.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

That looks awesome! Like a real pool! Love how it is turning out!

It is that time! This is when I share a set of links I have put together for new pool owners. It is a LOT of info so I want to give you plenty of time to start reading it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This is also when I ask have you thought about what test kit you will get. Look in my siggy for the one I think is the best bang for the buck.

Kim:kim:
Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Oh wow, SPL, that looks soooooo cool!!! You've got a lot going on with that pool - my kind of pool!!! I love the different bench levels in the spa - terrific!! The steps on either side of the spa make for a terrific conversation area with plenty more on the ledges and walls!!! I see many parties in your future!!

Did you have to water the shotcrete much?? Just for yourself, take some quick shots of the detail places on the pool, especially around any of the plumbing stub-outs or other places (drawing a blank, but where the lights, returns, skimmers, wiring, etc are). Trust me, you never know when you may have a question down the road, and the picture will be just the ticket to the answer.

I can't wait to see all the 'pretties' start going in! Thanks for the pictures!!!

Suz

This is looking great! I like all of the different elevations, and cuts and juts in the wall...it really gives the eye a lot to look at. Can't wait to see the tile and stone too! And I'm jealous...my landscaper is still a couple weeks out..and I contracted with him in December!

It seemed like everything came to a screeching halt after shotcreet but now things are picking back up. I don't want to put the wall back up until landscaping is done so the landscaping schedule is key to getting this completed. I leave town for 10 days on the 12th of May and really want it wrapped up by then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.