ozone generator

Is it on a pool or a hot tub?

Ozone generators produce ozone gas, although most models sold for pools and spas are very inefficient and produce only very small quantities of the gas.

Ozone acts as secondary oxidizer and can, under some circumstances, reduce the amount of bather waste. In a hot tub that uses bromine, ozonators are intended to be used to convert inert bromide ions back into active bromine sanitizers. However, the bromide to bromine conversion can also be accomplished by simply adding chlorinating liquid to the hot tub.

The use of an ozonator on an outdoor, residential, single-family pool is almost totally unnecessary because chlorine is a very effective oxidizer and the pool will receive lots of UV from the sun. So bather waste, as measured by the combined chlorine levels, is almost always very low, typically less than 0.5ppm. In that case, adding ozone is fairly useless and, since ozone can react with and neutralize chlorine, adding ozone to a mostly clean pool will simply cause greater FC demand. Ozone makers will also claim that you need ozone in order to kill pathogens that don't respond well to chlorine like cryptosporidium. Well, the truth is, residential pools really do not suffer from problems with those types of pathogens (unless you let people with diarrhea problems swim in your pool) and so adding an ozonator is effectively adding a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Your ozone generator has not been working for years and yet your pool is still working....that tells you all you need to know about their usefulness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that is what I was hoping for. I was planning to replace some of the wiring to the system while I'm replacing the motor (the conduit is cracked in several places). That is one area that I will not have to worry about. I can get some of the wiring spaghetti cleared out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.