Flowtec pump "pump" problem after re-plumbing and re-wiring

Jan 19, 2013
Coral Springs, FL
Today, I re-plumbed and re-wired my Flotec pump and Hayward C1200 filter for cosmetic purposes for the interior of my shed where this apparatus is stored (I laid pavers). After completion (6 hours), I ran into a problem (fatigue..old age? (-: ). The pump turns on properly, the strainer housing fills with water (I can see it) and water flow looks good. I see the needle rising on the filter and as pressure builds, the pump motor gets this straining sound as if it is over worked. Sure enough, the motor sounds like it wants to shut down while I hear a clicking sound. Of course, I shut the pump off. So I move on to rookie trouble-shooting mode.

• Remove filter and re-install top of filter (same problem)
• Cut off the output pipe from filter to check outflow (same problem), no water outflow except for a brief moment.
• Run motor without top of filter, watch water fill up canister (as it did)

So from what I can see…..filter problem.

Okay…..so what changed? Positioning of filter in relation to pump? Yes. Should this really make a difference?

Previously; filter was mounted above pump (sitting on bricks) by 12 inches (max) and within 18 inches width between the two.
Currently; filter and pump are on level ground (pavers now in place) with PVC 90 and 45 degree elbows to compensate for the differences between the pump and filter.
The pump and filter are about 12 inches above pool water level as it has been for the past 4 years when I bought this house.

Any ideas? (-:

Jim

Any chance the pump wiring or voltage might be incorrect?

Do you have any pictures?

Did you plug the skimmers or returns?

Maybe a backwards check valve?

Any closed valves?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.