Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA poured into skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA poured into skimmer?

I bought some Clorox brand granular CYA and the directions say to pour it directly into the skimmer and keep the pump running for 24 hours. Is that ok to do?
    32x15 freeform gunite pool (approx 15,000 gallons) with a 7x7 raised spa with 2 spillovers - tanning ledge with 2 bubblers - All Hayward Equipment - ARQ15 SWCG - 400btu heater, 60sq ft DE filter - 2HP EcoStar VS pump - Oklahoma flagstone coping - MasterTile MASMIX 3 1x1 - Sundek - Crystal Stones Smooth Caribbean Blue - TF-100 - Doheny's Discovery Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA poured into skimmer?

Quote Originally Posted by jk7228 View Post
    I bought some Clorox brand granular CYA and the directions say to pour it directly into the skimmer and keep the pump running for 24 hours. Is that ok to do?
    That is really not the method we recomend.

We recommend pouring the measured amount needed into an old sock. Then, either suspend the sock in front of a return or place the sock in a skimmer. Every time you pass, give the sock a squeeze and usually it is dissolved in a couple of hours.

Pouring it in a skimmer may allow it to get caught in a filter, and with a DE (or sand) filter there is the possibility that undissolved CYA will be back-flushed out of the pool. Hmmmm, wait a minute; their directions have the possibility of wasting the chemical, thus requiring the purchase of more.....
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

3. Back To Top    #3

haha so THATS the reason they recommend it in the skimmer!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice. I'll put it in a sock in the skimmer.

Does the pump have to run on a high speed for 24 hours or will a low speed be enough?
    32x15 freeform gunite pool (approx 15,000 gallons) with a 7x7 raised spa with 2 spillovers - tanning ledge with 2 bubblers - All Hayward Equipment - ARQ15 SWCG - 400btu heater, 60sq ft DE filter - 2HP EcoStar VS pump - Oklahoma flagstone coping - MasterTile MASMIX 3 1x1 - Sundek - Crystal Stones Smooth Caribbean Blue - TF-100 - Doheny's Discovery Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Low is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you!!

7. Back To Top    #7

For what it's worth, I've done both methods (sock in skimmer and in front of return), and I prefer the sock in front of a return; it dissolves a lot faster because there's more direct flow (vs my skimmer at least) and I don't worry as much about it damaging piping/pumps/filter/etc. When I did it in front of the return, the ~2 pounds was gone in about 24 hours without much squeezing, in the skimmer I was still squeezing a half-full sock several days later.

I take a scrap stick of wood, stick it out over the pool a foot or so with a brick holding down the other end, and tie a string to close the sock and to the stick.
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

8. Back To Top    #8

Same here - the sock in front of the return works surprisingly well...
    18x36 25k Gal Inground Vinyl Pool
    300lb Sand Filter / 1.5hp Single Speed Pump / Intellichlor IC40 SWG / Polaris 280 w/booster pump