Want to get a new pump

Kamil

Nov 2, 2013
Lancaster, PA
Hi everyone,

I will be replacing the old Jacuzzi brand pump with a new one... is there a way to find out how much Watts this single old speed pump uses?

Here is my old pump:

Also some shots go my filter and plumbing:

So... this pool was in bad shape when we moved in back in May 2014... I had to clean and SLAM it... to say the least. The previous owner jerry-rigged this return line (I guess the return pipes were leaking... or who knows) so he ran a PVC pipe from the filter outlet right into the pool... pretty crappy... but I can't afford to have a pool company come out and dig up the two return lines and have them fixed. There is concrete around the pool and a concrete patio also... so I have to use this makeshift pipe as a return line. It has worked so so... for the past three seasons, but I feel the water is not circulated properly.

Here is a pic... the return pipe is not connected at this point... it's propped up on the wall in the back (next to the AC unit).

So for now I want to get a new variable speed pump and maybe next year I'll get a robot cleaner like the Doheny's Discovery.

What is this thing? (not connected to my plumbing)

Just felt like sharing my situation here. Take care and have fun.

As a rough estimate I would say that pump is using around 2000 watts running. Without taking real time current readings that's a very rough guess. If you don't have any water features or heaters you would be better served by a 2-speed pump and putting some of the money you save on the cheaper pump into some plumbing fixes. Adding some details about your pool and equipment in your signature will help us help you down the road.

I want to see what the KWH is on the old pump. Just curious how much better the new pump will be. My electric bill in the summer (June - Sept) is on average $340. A lot of that is also the AC running... but I was wondering how much electricity the old pump is using. It says 8 amps on the label so 8*220 = 1760 watts... is that right? PIE (P = I * E)

Sorry my math was off a bit there you are correct nameplate wattage is 1760. Which puts you closer to 1300 running watts. If your pump runs for an hour that means it will use ruffly 1.3 kWh. A two speed pump running low speed is using about 300 watts or .3 kWh. A VS pump will be around 200 watts or .2 kWh. Depending on the pump you have and speeds you run those number can be may go up or down this is just a generalization.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.