Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question regarding my current chemical levels (mainly pH)

1. Back To Top    #1

Question regarding my current chemical levels (mainly pH)

Ran a complete test today and results are as followed:

FC 1 (CC 0, TC 1...will get this up soon once I increase my CYA)
    pH 6.9 (was close to 8, so I added some from a different brand than I normally use and it brought it down a bit lower than I thought it would)
    TA 75
    CH 360
    CYA 25 (I knew this was going to be low because I hadn't added any all winter)
    Salt 3100

My questions is...would you guys recommend raising the pH with Soda Ash back up immediately to at least 7.2? I wasn't going to be in a rush to raise it because it tends to drift up after a week or two anyways. I usually try to keep it in the 7.2-7.5 range and no higher than 7.8.

I plan on raising the CYA this weekend to target 70 and a FC level of 5. Pool water looks great and has been clear all winter.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin S200 Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question regarding my current chemical levels (mainly pH)

Yes, you definitely want to get that pH up NOW. The difference between 6.9 (or possibly lower) and 7.2 is enormous. Your gunnite surface can suffer with this low pH. Take it up at least to 7.2.

Soda ash if you can find it, Borax if you can't.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Funny thing is, those results are from the pool store. I went back and checked the pH using my Taylor k2006 kit and it was 7.4 so I'm going to trust my results before theirs.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin S200 Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

<Whew!!>

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard