I don't know what I got myself into!

Jun 16, 2009
I just recently got an Intex Easy-Set Inflatable Pool, 16' X 42'' for my birthday. I don't have idea what the heck I am doing! I have called the HTH pools hotline and every time I get a different answer. I have it finally balanced, but I dont know what to do next? Anyone have an inflatable pool? I need someone to hold my hand and get me thro this!

Also, get yourself a really good test kit!

Enjoy your pool and Happy Birthday! :party:

There are a few people with inflatables on the forum.

I looked up on intexcorp.com and I see 15' and 18' but not 16'. The 15' x 42" says about 3300 gal, the 18' x 42" is about 4800. Those are numbers the pool calculator can't help you with because the Easy Set sides aren't straight.

Other than that--Pool School has a lot of good info, start there.
--paulr

This is our third year with an 18' round Intex easy set, and it's been great. We use all the original equipment, although we do use the TF good test kit. A couple pieces of advice...

A lot of people on this forum complain that the filter/pump are inadequate for these pools. I'll definitely agree that they're nothing fancy, and Intex sure didn't give you more than you need, but in all honesty, we've not had a bit of trouble keeping our water clear with the equipment that came in the box. And although Intex says the cartridges are meant to last only a couple of weeks, we've found that cleaning the cartridge every week to two weeks with the garden hose, and maintaining adequate FC levels, we've been able to extend the life of the cartridge filters without sacrificing water quality. I hose off the filter once every couple of weeks, vacuum as needed with the equipment in the box, and it's been fine. Now, that said, I will say that I'm pretty strict about the two-three minutes a day to test water and add chlorine. But, we've had crystal clear water AND great test results everyday each summer we've had it. I only shock as test results indicate it's needed, and once in awhile after a big storm.

BBB has worked fine for us, although I do occasionally use pucks when we're gone for a few days. I assume you'll be taking down the whole pool after swim season, but still go ahead and get CYA in your pool so you aren't using so much chlorine.

As far as calculating gallons...another poster mentioned that the sides slope inward as they rise, so the pool calculator doesn't work. Take an average of your bottom diameter and top diameter, and use that for an approximation. My pool is 18' at the bottom and 14' at the top (found the top diameter somewhere in the intex info), so I use 16' as my average diameter. It's not so much different than when people have to estimate gallons for irregularly-shaped pools.

Good luck!
Edited to clarify that Intex cartridge filters are meant to be disposable.

I agree with Nikki, an ounce of prevention :goodjob:

I just want to point out that the Intex website says their cartridge filters are disposable and meant to be thrown away after 2 weeks during "normal" use. Keeping FC levels is great prevention, but I don't think they are meant to last a summer, a month at best. If you do develop problems, like algae, either drain and refill and/or change them out weekly while clearing an algae bloom.

You're right, poolmom, Intex's cartridges are meant to be disposable, and I should have stated that more clearly (actually just edited the post to clarify). What I've found is that if we are diligent about day-to-day chlorination and periodic cleaning, they'll last longer. I hate to see people throw them away b/c they think the cartridge is the problem, when in reality it's a problem of inadequate chlorination or irregular. I definitely agree that if you have an algae bloom going, pitch it and get a new one.

You can buy Polyester carts for Intex filters that are designed to be cleaned just like any other cartridge. (The Intex ones are paper, which is why they say they are not cleanable.) They really aren't that expensive (I have seen 2 packs go for about $20) and, if cared for like any other cartridge, can last 3 to 5 years. I would get 2 of them so you can pop in the clean one and then soak the dirty one. Check your local pool store and online. I have seen the Worldpool brand for sale at Ace Hardware.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.