CYA Might be High

Tex599

Mar 10, 2016
Fort Worth tx
Pool is less than a year old and have always used liquid chloring and only tablets when on vacation. What else can cause the CYA to rise, if my test was accurate? I ran out of the CYA reagent, so I am ordering more. Not even sure what the actual measurement was since it was below the 100 mark.

Test Results today:

FC 4.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 75
CH 300
CYA Halfway from the bottom and 100 on the K2006 test and black dot is gone.

Any powdered/solid type chlorine can contribute. Depending on how many tablets you used, it can take a short time to get into trouble.

Also. there is always the chance that it was just simple testing error.

I was at Walmart the other day and noticed that they had the 6-way test kit that includes CYA. In a pinch that might work for you.

There are other forms of solid that don't contribute Cya, those being Cal-Hypo, and Lithium bound Chlorine but the latter is far less commonly used due to cost. Still pabeader is right that other bags, boxes and such are the likely culprits.

Your Cya test was accurate, or likely close enough that it doesn't matter. Cya can build much quicker than most people imagine so don't doubt it too much as it wouldn't be surprising.

It is best to make sure the pump has been running 15-30 minutes before pulling your test sample. There is some debate if water temperature affects the test result, so you may want to let the sample warm up to a least 70 degrees to help with accuracy. Also make sure you read the result in bright sunlight with the sun at your back if possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.