K-1766 Drop Test Results Compared to SWG System Reading

bobandsherry

Bronze Supporter
Apr 20, 2016
Riverview, FL
I've been maintaining my pool with SWG since it was completed last year. I've been relying on the readout from my SWG system (Hayward AutoRite) but have been reading messages where the K-1766 test was more accurate. I purchased the kit (only $20 delivered). The results were the test kit showed a reading of 3300 (20ml test). I checked my Hayward display and it was 3300, exactly the same.

It's good to know that Hayward unit is accurately reporting and now with test kit I'll verify it every 3 months. My salt initially started at 3400, so since July 2016 it's only dropped by 100ppm.

Curious what others who have a K-1766 kit have found as variance between their K-1766 drop test and and their SWG system readout.

I calibrate my SWCG to my K1766 every year. I always wait untill the water warms before I calibrate it. My SWCG always shows lower salt when the water temp is below 78. I tested mine when my water temp was 52 degrees. My SWCG showed 2800 but the K1766 showed 3200. I tested mine last week with the water temp at 76 and they were within 100 ppm.

I'm lucky, in FL my water only dropped below 69 this winter for three weeks, the lowest was 65. All during this time my SWG system has consistently showed the salt level as virtually unchanged (3200-3300). So from that I see that the mildly cool temps for me hasn't affected how my SWG has measured the salt level.

Curiously, I wonder if the drop test is impacted by water temps.

Pentair IntelliChlor's are not known for reporting salt with a great degree of accuracy (they have lousy temperature compensation) but my IC will read 3800ppm while my true salt level is 4000ppm. The K-1766 is the most accurate test you can use and so it's a good way to diagnose a potentially failing cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.