Pump and filter thoughts

TopherG

Bronze Supporter
Mar 23, 2017
Brooksville, FL
Hi, new guy here. I have a leaking filter shell and an old single speed pump so it seems sensible to replace them both. I'm leaning toward Pentair Clean & Clear RP 150 and Pentair Superflo VS. Any thoughts? Pool repair guy mentioned Hayward Maxflo VS and Jandy VSFHP165JEP as alternate pump choices.

Thanks!

I hate giving you a neutral answer, because all the brands are reasonably reliable. That said, I have Pentair VS and it has been flawless so far going on Season 4, so I would suggest them to anyone. It's nice that he is giving you options, as many service or builder folks are often pushing one brand pretty hard. If you're asking me, I say go with the Pentair setup.

T,

I'm a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, and always say that the other brands are almost as good.. :cool:

But, as your pool guy said, the are all about the same.

How often do you have to clean your filter now? I only ask because you might want to go with a larger filter, which means you can go much longer between cleanings..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Any of the pumps you listed would be great choices. I ended up with the Pentair superflo VS because at the time I could save 50 bucks over going with the Hayward maxflo VS. I generally stick to the philosophy that if you don't have automation considerations brand of the pump isn't all that important.

Also since you don't have any heaters or a SWG you are a strong candidate for a 2-speed pump which would cost you hundreds less than a VS pump. Often times 2-speed pumps qualify for energy rebates just like the VS pumps do.

I hate giving you a neutral answer, because all the brands are reasonably reliable. That said, I have Pentair VS and it has been flawless so far going on Season 4, so I would suggest them to anyone. It's nice that he is giving you options, as many service or builder folks are often pushing one brand pretty hard. If you're asking me, I say go with the Pentair setup.

Okay, thanks Patrick.

T,

I'm a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, and always say that the other brands are almost as good.. :cool:

But, as your pool guy said, the are all about the same.

How often do you have to clean your filter now? I only ask because you might want to go with a larger filter, which means you can go much longer between cleanings..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim

I don't clean it often, perhaps every 4-6 months, but am stepping up a bit from 100 to 150 sq ft. I'm guessing that small change won't extend time between cleanings much but he felt the VS pump will be happier.

Any of the pumps you listed would be great choices. I ended up with the Pentair superflo VS because at the time I could save 50 bucks over going with the Hayward maxflo VS. I generally stick to the philosophy that if you don't have automation considerations brand of the pump isn't all that important.

Also since you don't have any heaters or a SWG you are a strong candidate for a 2-speed pump which would cost you hundreds less than a VS pump. Often times 2-speed pumps qualify for energy rebates just like the VS pumps do.

Thanks for the idea. I hadn't considered a 2-speed. I may go solar in the future, would the VS be better if I do?

If you add solar in the future a VS pump can be handy to find the right motor speed to get the right amount of flow thru your panels without wasting electricity. Often times the ideal motor speed for a solar system is faster than the low speed and slower than the high speed of a two speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.