Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump and filter thoughts

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump and filter thoughts

Hi, new guy here. I have a leaking filter shell and an old single speed pump so it seems sensible to replace them both. I'm leaning toward Pentair Clean & Clear RP 150 and Pentair Superflo VS. Any thoughts? Pool repair guy mentioned Hayward Maxflo VS and Jandy VSFHP165JEP as alternate pump choices.

Thanks!
    screen enclosed 12 x 24 rectangle 10k IG gunite with AquaBright (Blue Lagoon w/Blue Med markers), Pentair CnC RP 150, Pentair Superflo VS (no SWG, no water features, no heater)
    K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump and filter thoughts

I hate giving you a neutral answer, because all the brands are reasonably reliable. That said, I have Pentair VS and it has been flawless so far going on Season 4, so I would suggest them to anyone. It's nice that he is giving you options, as many service or builder folks are often pushing one brand pretty hard. If you're asking me, I say go with the Pentair setup.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

T,

I'm a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, and always say that the other brands are almost as good..

But, as your pool guy said, the are all about the same.

How often do you have to clean your filter now? I only ask because you might want to go with a larger filter, which means you can go much longer between cleanings..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Any of the pumps you listed would be great choices. I ended up with the Pentair superflo VS because at the time I could save 50 bucks over going with the Hayward maxflo VS. I generally stick to the philosophy that if you don't have automation considerations brand of the pump isn't all that important.

Also since you don't have any heaters or a SWG you are a strong candidate for a 2-speed pump which would cost you hundreds less than a VS pump. Often times 2-speed pumps qualify for energy rebates just like the VS pumps do.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I hate giving you a neutral answer, because all the brands are reasonably reliable. That said, I have Pentair VS and it has been flawless so far going on Season 4, so I would suggest them to anyone. It's nice that he is giving you options, as many service or builder folks are often pushing one brand pretty hard. If you're asking me, I say go with the Pentair setup.
    Okay, thanks Patrick.
    screen enclosed 12 x 24 rectangle 10k IG gunite with AquaBright (Blue Lagoon w/Blue Med markers), Pentair CnC RP 150, Pentair Superflo VS (no SWG, no water features, no heater)
    K2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    T,

I'm a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, and always say that the other brands are almost as good..

But, as your pool guy said, the are all about the same.

How often do you have to clean your filter now? I only ask because you might want to go with a larger filter, which means you can go much longer between cleanings..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Thanks Jim

I don't clean it often, perhaps every 4-6 months, but am stepping up a bit from 100 to 150 sq ft. I'm guessing that small change won't extend time between cleanings much but he felt the VS pump will be happier.
    K2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Any of the pumps you listed would be great choices. I ended up with the Pentair superflo VS because at the time I could save 50 bucks over going with the Hayward maxflo VS. I generally stick to the philosophy that if you don't have automation considerations brand of the pump isn't all that important.

Also since you don't have any heaters or a SWG you are a strong candidate for a 2-speed pump which would cost you hundreds less than a VS pump. Often times 2-speed pumps qualify for energy rebates just like the VS pumps do.
    Thanks for the idea. I hadn't considered a 2-speed. I may go solar in the future, would the VS be better if I do?
    K2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

If you add solar in the future a VS pump can be handy to find the right motor speed to get the right amount of flow thru your panels without wasting electricity. Often times the ideal motor speed for a solar system is faster than the low speed and slower than the high speed of a two speed pump.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks everyone! I'm calling the pool guy with my decision to go Pentair. Have a good weekend!
    K2006 test kit