Filter suggestions. How big can I go?

Oct 21, 2016
Madison,MS
I have a 11k gallon vinyl inground pool. I have a Hayward star clear plus I think it's a 1200 series. That I have to constantly clean. I'm still new to pools. This will be my first summer with it. I was told when I bought the house by the person that built the pool that it really needed a bigger filter. How big should I go? what does everyone recommend? I've been doing a lot of research and I'm leaning towards staying with a cartridge or going sand. I live in Mississippi. From what I've seen people in the area leave there pools open year round. Which is what I will probably be doing if that matters in making a decision.

My pump is a hayward super 2 1hp and 3/4hp booster pump. I'm also not using the salt water system that's on it anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_7422.jpg
    IMG_7422.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 84
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I have a larger pool than you and use the exact same filter. My pool runs all year long. Could I go bigger? - absolutely, you probably could as well. Maybe I will upgrade when mine bites the dust, Just understand that the larger filter doesn't help with algae control or anything like that. Some people forget that. Hopefully when you say you have to constantly clean your filter, it's only for dirt/dust particles and not algae-related. Water chemistry is key. A larger 4-cartridge filter would allow you to go all season with maybe one or two cleanings as opposed to rinsing-off a single cartridge every 3-4 weeks. That's the big advantage. A lot depends on the surface debris your pool picks-up. Don't forget to use a poolside skimmer sock to help take some of the workload off of your filter. It's collects a lot of the small junk that can slip through a skimmer basket.

You have a roomy equipment pad, so a healthy Hayward 420 sq ft-type (4-ctg) filter should match-up to your system nicely. Great to have you with us at TFP!

Geo,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool and filter questions... :snorkle:

How big a filter? How big a yard do you have.... :cool:

You really can't go too large, and as Pat pointed out the larger the filter the less often you have to clean it.

So, since you are not using the SWCG, why did you stop using it, and how are you currently chlorinating your pool?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

No Algea yet! It's just now starting to warm up. A lot of dust, pollen and smaller stuff. I've been having to clean it weekly since it has started to warm up. With a lot more stuff getting blown in the pool. I clean it as often as I can. I try to skim the water almost everyday and sweep a few times a week. A skimmer sock would probably really help. I forgot about those.

I haven't had to add any chemicals yet this year. I'm sure will tomorrow when I check it. Previous owner was using 3in chlorine tabs last year(I was planning on using what he left).Because the swg is out and maybe the board to. I've been reading up on a tfp recommended way. I was gonna make a post about it tomorrow when I do my testing and get some advice on that.

I was just looking for recommendations on something I would only have to clean every couple of months. Mine is usually 10+ pounds over in a week. Plus a lot of construction is going on behind my house. Which I know isn't helping. The guy the built the pool just told it needed a bigger filter. He tried to get the original owner that built it to get one. But they didn't wanna spend the money on it. He told me this before I bought the house. So I don't think it was a up sell.

I haven't had to add any chemicals yet this year. I'm sure will tomorrow when I check it. Previous owner was using 3in chlorine tabs last year(I was planning on using what he left).Because the swg is out and maybe the board to. I've been reading up on a tfp recommended way. I was gonna make a post about it tomorrow when I do my testing and get some advice on that.

This reply says a lot for us. While a larger filter will provide some ease in recurring maintenance, please remember that no type/size of filter will resolve potential problems with chemistry. Also remember that algae isn't always visible (at first). I'm surprised to hear you have no algae and haven't added any chemicals this year. Perhaps the chlorine tabs are holding algae off for now. But they are also increasing stabilizers (CYA) at the same time. I would recommend using just regular (plain) bleach to maintain your FC level.

You mentioned testing soon. Can you confirm which test kit you have? Hopefully you already have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. I love the TF-100 (link below in my sig), but either of those are highly recommended here at TFP. Before TFP and my TF-100, I was cleaning my C1200 filter almost everyday. No kidding. It was always green and collecting all kinds of organic material, much that I didn't see in the water. Now that my pool is chemically balanced with a TF-100, I can go a month or more without rinsing-off the filter. When I do, it's brown/grey in color with just dirt and some small bugs that made it past my skimmer sock.

Don't get me wrong, a larger cartridge or sand filter may still be a great move for you. But TFP is all about proper water care which makes pool life much easier on you and usually saves you money. So before you invest in a new filter for about $300-$500, please make sure you are testing your own water with a TF-100. Ensure your water is balanced according to the TFP Recommended Levels (link below) and use a skimmer sock at the poolside skimmer. You might be surprised at the improvements you see based on those changes. Then, if cleaning intervals are still too frequent for you with the C1200, upgrade to a 4-cartridge or sand filter like Woody noted above.

Lastly, don't forget to update your signature. You can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. Have a great day!

Welcome to TFP!

I'll second the sand filter, especially where there is a lot of dust getting into the pool. That is something I can relate too. Let us know if we can help when you run the chemistry and we will be happy to pitch in on that for sure. :goodjob:

Just ordered a TF-100.
Great move! :goodjob: You won't regret it. Once received, please post a full set of test results and we'll go from there. The instructions are very good in that kit, but if you still have a question about any of the tests, just let us know. Have a nice weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.