Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main drain Leaf catcher

1. Back To Top    #1

Main drain Leaf catcher

Moderator comment: This post was separated out from this thread: pre-filter or cartridge cover for dog hair

I am also interested in this thread -
    I am new to owning a pool, and i appear to have a similar issue to the OP, i have skim sock in my skimmer, but my main drain suck alot of debris directly into my pump basket.
    I have an older pump (not sure on model) and the pump basket is the same sort of design where the water is let in 1 side (as above)

My thought was to have some sort of leaf catcher (normally used with vacums) directly inline with my main return prior to my pump.
    What issues could i have with a setup like that?

thanks in advance
    Barry

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main drain Leaf catcher

Before you go tinkering with that idea- and it is sort of intriguing but...my first response has to be-

Can you turn valves to decrease your main drain and increase the skimmer pull? Or just turn the main drain off (via the valve) entirely?

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Main drain Leaf catcher

Hi Yip,

As far as I know, I cannot adjust the flow from my main drain, and It is currently my only method for cleaning the bottom of the pool. I actually ended up buying a rechargeable pool vacuum cleaner but i don't like using it.

I am having my pipes looked at for a different issue (air in the pipes) I may need to get extensive repairs.. so can ask about that when they come.
    thanks