Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Possible with just one pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Possible with just one pump?

Was originally thinking of doing 2 separate loops and 2 pumps. But the cost goes up substantially as I'd need a 2nd pump AND I'd have to get the Intellitouch over the (cheaper) EasyTouch.

So my question....can this be plumbed for just 1 pump???

If I only had 1 pump (a 3hp VS Intelliflow), can I plumb actuators to be able to run the Slide, Waterfall and Deck Jets at the same time?

Those 3 features will be used when the pool is being used. When it's not in use, the speed can be lowered for filtration and salt generation.

I just can't see how to plumb so I can run the 3 water features - or any combination of them. Is it possible???
    18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Possible with just one pump?

Would this work?

I realize some are high-head and some are low-head. How will that affect performance of everything?

18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

3. Back To Top    #3

The diagram you have in the second post will work, but I'd think about putting the salt cell after the 3-way valve. That way you're not trying to run the salt cell when the main returns aren't on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    The diagram you have in the second post will work, but I'd think about putting the salt cell after the 3-way valve. That way you're not trying to run the salt cell when the main returns aren't on.
    Great idea. I'll make that change.

I suspect filtering and salt water generation will be done during non-peak hours. So when the pool / water features are being used, the water will not run through the salt cell.

My PB just approved this plumbing layout as well. I'm going forward with ordering just 1 3hp VS pump (Pentair Intelliflo).