Bubbles out of Return only when solar is on

jobe

Jun 16, 2009
We're having a problem with a heavy stream of air bubbles pulsing out of the pool return when the solar is running. When this is happening, the pool sweep also will not run properly - not enough power. We've "fixed" the problem for now by simply turning the solar off. My question is, is this really a solar problem or a pump issue? We've checked all the valves, o-rings, etc. for leaks...nothing. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP.

How much of a pressure rise do you see when the solar is on? How is your solar laid out? Height above pump, distance from pump etc. Are you directing all of the water flow through the solar? Another member had a similar problem a week or two back, and got rid of the bubbles by setting the 3-way valve to send part of the water directly to the pool.

Thanks for the response! I tried to answer the questions below:

How much of a pressure rise do you see when the solar is on? 10-11 PSI

How is your solar laid out? Height above pump, distance from pump etc. Roof mounted 20 feet up, equipment (filter, pumps, etc) are about 2 feet from the mainline ascending up to the panels.

Are you directing all of the water flow through the solar? Yes, all water is diverted to the panels.

I took the valve apart to see if the issue was with the valve and I don't think it was. I noticed that when the booster pump is on and driving the sweep and the solar is off there are no air bubbles. When the solar is on and the booster pump is off there are no bubbles. It seems to only be an issue when both the booster pump and the solar are on.

I've been on the roof (not my favorite thing) and I don't see any leaks, and all the caps look good.

10 PSI is pretty high for a solar rise. I assume the air out of the returns continues after the initial purge? How many panels do you have and what size are they? Did the installer, install them in parallel or series? Also, what size is your pump?

It sounds as though you do not have enough pressure at the vacuum release valve which is letting in air. This could be one of several issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.