Hello from Florida

Mar 23, 2017
Tallhassee, FL
So I have been reading a little in the forum and thought I would go ahead and join. I am buying a house in a month or so and it has a Vinyl Pool in place so I thought I would get a head start on learning and saving money with my new to me pool. I don't know the measurements or anything of the pool but hope to get some of that this weekend when I look at the property again. I have a feeling that the previous owners had someone maintain it for them so I don't know what all things I might need to buy (ie pool net and vacuums) but that's all part of the journey I guess. I'm set on making this as inexpensive as possible and it looks like the BBB method is the best at that. I have never maintained a pool but i have a lot of experience in keeping reef tanks but most of that knowledge is completely the opposite of a pool. I think it won't be all that hard to do since its such a large volume of water and takes a lot longer for things to change than in a 100 gallon reef tank. Hopefully it will be pretty pain free and I can really enjoy my pool this summer.

Well hey there JasoNoles! Welcome to TFP, and congrats on the new house/pool. Exciting times ahead!

The seller *might* leave you equipment such as nets so no need to be in a rush. They don't cost much and can be found at Lowes if you want to avoid pool stores (which we *always* recommend, lol)

Start reading PoolSchool- ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You will need a GOOD test kit. Not some cheap one that doesn't perform all the tests you're going to need, but a big gun one. The two we recommend are the TF-100 (most favored) and the Taylor K-2006C. Both available from TFTestkits.net or Amazon. If you can order the kit, when you go over to the pool before closing try to grab a sample of water to take home and test. That will give you an idea of what you are working with.

At the bottom of the PoolMath app is a place to help you determine gallons... its a LxWxD thing.... useful. :)

We love pictures <hint! hint!> And if you take one of the equipment we can help tell you what you have.

Yippee :flower:

You have the right idea. The TF-100 won't disappoint. It has well-written instructions, and there are TF-100 videos available on YouTube as well. The products in the kit will provide very accurate results. Most of the reagents will last all season and possibly into next. Obtaining that test kit is arguably the best decision all of us made at one point when we were learning the ropes. You'll also save much more money via proper testing and using the TFP recommended chemicals (link below). If you have any other questions, let us know.

So realistically what am i getting myself into? what kind of time sink will I have with all this? Once I had my reef tank going it was pretty solid and I stopped worrying about water chemistry but with this it seems like its a constant struggle depending on the weather.

Assuming your chemistry is in line... perhaps about 10 min a week for testing. Like twice at 5 minutes each. More often if you've added something that you need to recheck, or if your pool is having problems. Or if you're new and its fun to do.

Empty the skimmer... 2 minutes

Vacuum the bottom as needed... 15 minutes? IF needed that is.

Brushing once a week, maybe 20 minutes?

Checking out the filter pressure, etc.... pffft. Nothing to speak of.

Adding chemicals like bleach... mere minutes.

Time for fun- UNLIMITED!! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support