Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool opening with pollen

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool opening with pollen

Hey everyone! New here. We built our pool late last year in Greenville South Carolina. I put a cover over it as we live on a golf course with lots of pine trees. Looking for advice on when to remove the cover? Next week it will start being on average over 70 degrees and our yard gets sun all day. Just curious how the pollen will make my life a nightmare or should I put off removing cover? Thank in advance!!
    18x36 Grecian with concrete walls and vinyl liner. Pentair DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool opening with pollen

Hey there SCPool88! Welcome to TFP!

If you go ahead and open I would suggest putting a skimmer sock in the skimmer to help collect the pollen. It ends up in the sock looking fluffy but it saves your filter from collecting it, hence will extend your time between filter clean outs. You can use reusable skimmer socks which you just rinse out with a hose, or disposable hair nets that folks order off Amazon.

Otherwise, running the pump a bit longer than normal will help keep the skimmer action going and clearing the pollen. It shouldn't go on tooooo much longer I would think since we started so early this year.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It's time (what's your pool temp?) to open that pool. Putting it off further will get you into an algae bloom.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Pollen is easier to deal with than a green algae pool........but it's still a pain!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm in southeast TN. We opened today and as part of my opening routine I put a skimmer sock on. It's the easiest solution. I'd rather have the Pollen than algae any day. I learned my lesson last year.

I opened and still has 5ppm FC and clear water. In a few days I'll have my water balanced again and life will be good.